View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
intilis
YT 500 Club Member

Default Jeannie

[QUOTE=yorkietalkjilly;4324156]Oh, Lori, I wasn't referring to your post - I hadn't even read any posts but the OP's early this a.m. when I posted. I often use the term "quick-fix" regarding this or that thing that sometimes someone will recommend with a dog with larger issues and a frustrated owner might fixate on using that as an easy answer to a bigger problem that really takes a multi-prong approach to bring about a long-term resolution. I'm so tired of seeing those dog trainers that have websites with a quick-fix for this or that problem as if that is just the answer no matter what all is going on with the dog. Like for a barking dog, they recommend spraying it with water - not even taking into consideration what some dogs have been through in life & how profoundly anxious and cowed some dogs are. Yet that's their quick fix: spray the dog in the face for excessive barking. A paragraph and move on! Ugh! That's what I'm hoping to end are those quick-fix website answers.

I absolutely love to hear quick-fixes myself because they can be incorporated in to work for this dog or another dog out there with a similar problem and they usually work when used correctly, just as they did with your baby!

But I do try to get folks with dogs with likely chronic problems such as in rescue dogs not to fixate on any one quickie and expect just that to solve their larger issue of a fearful, anxious, non-trusting dog. I have seen OP's on YT who have dogs with real issues just repeatedly sometimes and even after they have had good advice from many about the several things they need to do and areas of concern to work on, still on a thread almost begging for anything quick that will work just like a charm, when obviously they have a big problem that they sometimes seem to refuse to see.

It sounds like your leash thing might, indeed, work out here, too, once trust has been established with the son and visitors to the home. I've often used a leash with a dog with an attitude once I know the dog has long ago overcome trust, anxiety and fear issues but was just challenging me for that last bit of control should I relax a bit. I don't rely a lot on a leash for too long in the house because I want the dog to see me, my eyes and my voice as the control ultimately but a leash or things like that can be a useful tool for a while to make a point and they sure work wonders when used in just the right way for a while as you and your son did! That's the great thing about dog training, there are many ways to get there and what works for you and your dog is the best thing to go with every time.[/QUOTE

Jeannie, no offense taken. I always respect your advice & opinion. I mainly wanted to point out how important it is that my son never FORCES contact. After re reading my first post & then yours, I didn't think that was clear.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!