Thread: Loose stool
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Have you tried adding pumpkin to her food?? I would call and check with the vet first just to make sure it's ok, but I don't see what it would hurt. It regulates a dog, meaning it will loosen their stool if they are constipated and it will firm up their stool if it's too mushy.

You need to make sure you get just pumpkin puree and make sure there's no spices or anything added. I find mine in the pie filling section in the bakery isle at the grocery store.

I am actually getting ready to feed both of my boys pumpkin tonight. I had to take both of my dogs to the vet today...I took my older dog for moral support for the younger one because the younger one had to get his anal glands drained. The older one now has the runs from being at the vets and in the car Sooo, now I have to give him pumpkin to firm up his stool. I am probably going to be mixing it into their regular feeding since Ricky has anal gland issues and Princeton has GI issues. I am hoping it will keep them both Regular.

Sometimes, when a dogs GI tract messes up, it takes a while to regulate it. I would try to feed your dog nothing but the food it should get and the pumpkin....no table scraps or variety of treats or anything that could upset it's belly...at least until your dog straightens out. You may need to change foods, but it may just be something as simple as letting the dogs stomach settle and changing foods may upset it more.

If you do decide to change, do a gradual change...by adding small bits of the new food to the old food and then slowly increasing the new and decreasing the old over a period of time of at least a week or 2. Rapid change in itself can cause loose stool.

Stress can also be a cause of loose stool. If your dog has been stressed out, it can also affect it's tummy. I've had my dogs have an upset stomach for a week after taking only a 2 day trip.
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!