View Single Post
Old 09-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
holls123
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Update on Jager

Thank you all for your kind words and advice! Jager had his 8 week check up last week. It turns out, both bones have healed in his leg, so that was the good part. The bad part- he also damaged the cartilage in his leg. Our orthopedic Dr. told us that he thinks this actually happened at the time of the initial break. He said it couldn't have happened after surgery because the plate would bend or break before the cartilage would damage. He also said that he has never seen that type of cartilage damage in a small dog. So, now our only option is another surgery-carpal arthodesis. From what I understand, they completely remove the cartilage and another implant will be put in to fuse the joint surfaces. He will be able to walk normally after this is done, however, he will not be able to bend his wrist like he can now. It will be permanently in the position for walking, which he will adapt to when he runs also.

If only we had known this before, it would have saved us a lot of time and money and saved Jager some pain and suffering. Unfortunately, it is just not something anyone could have foreseen, unless of course maybe we had seen the orthopedic surgeon from the beginning when he first broke the leg. Jager has been so strong. The doctor wasn't sure if the leg was bothering him because he just never really shows any pain. Poor little guy is just always happy.

So, now he needs another surger-another $2300-$2800 and with this surgery, he will have to wear a splint for 6-8 weeks and basically be confined to his kennel. After all is said and done, it will be 6 months total that we have been trying to get this leg healthy with splints and surgeries. I just look forward to when he is completely healed and can live his normal life again. We have already taken precautions to avoid this from happening again-my fiance built a ramp for the dogs to get in and out of the house-no more stairs for them!

Thankfully, this surgery is not urgent and we have a little time to prepare for it. We need to get through our wedding next weekend and then we will decide when to do the surgery.
holls123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!