View Single Post
Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
maggiefromnj
YT Addict

Did you ever try the Acepromazine? I just got some for my 10 pound girl. Vet said to give her 1/4 to 1/2 of a 10 mg tablet and to test it out beforehand.

I hate the idea of testing it because I don't like to see her sleepy during the day when she could be chasing squirrels and barking at strollers. I know the test is to make sure she doesn't have a reaction so I will have to do it if I use it.

My dilemma is that we are taking her on a beach vacation. Our flight is at 730 am but is only 1.5 hours. We land around 9am (If on time) and could be on the beach by 11am. We won't be able to check in that early, so the beach is the most likely place we will go. Maggie LOVES the beach, she runs and runs. That is why we are taking her. I don't want her knocked out that whole first day, since we only have 4 beach days, weather permitting.

How long does this stuff last, and if I give her a low dose will she be fairly normal after 6 hours or so? I don't need her asleep, I just can't bear for her to be shaking and crying to come out of her carrier. She is not used to her carrier and training her to get used to it isn't really working. I'll work on that but if it comes to it we'll stick her in and she'll have to deal with it...hence the sedative. She loves people and being in the carrier in the waiting area for the plane will make her quite unhappy.

Can't decide if we should just stick it out with no meds for the flight down. If she doesn't do well she can have them coming home since then it won't matter if she sleeps all day.

Another thought with the meds is that it might be quite handy if we wanted to go out for a few hours in the evening without her. She would be content to go in her travel crate and sleep while we're gone....she isn't fond of the travel crate yet either, but I've read stories of dogs escaping from hotel rooms and she sleeps in a crate at home. I don't want to start her sleeping with us. We don't sleep well with her there and she likes her crate at night and during storms or chaos in the house.

I'd like to hear how various pets responded to the meds and how long it kept them sedated.
maggiefromnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!