Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybaby2013 View Post
Ok I'm not sure where you come from but I was rraised Amish. Not all Amish breeders are doing it as a means to make a living. My dad and I bred Labs just because we love the breed so much. And around here lots of Amish have dogs in the house(and whats wrong with not having any in the house? Lots of Amish have large families and the mothers simply do not have the time to care for a puppy in the house) and I dont know of ANY that leave their dogs to hunt for their own food. That would just seem ridiculous to me. (Not saying that it can't happen) and yes you should always be careful who you buy from!
I live near Lancaster County PA, which is home to the LARGEST AMISH COMMUNITY in the country. I have been there 100's and 100's and 100's of times. I have been blamed for corrupting one or two back in the day (one of which is married to my sister in laws brother). In Lancaster County there are close to 400 registered breeders (puppy mills) and estimates are that in reality there are more than 900 unregistered...most of those being Amish....however, we know there are even more than what is statistically projected/estimated.

I would never condemn a whole for the sins of the few. I am an advocate for people as well as animals and I know for certain there are some Amish who would never stand for such treatment of animals; however, with that said I stand by what I said and know to be true in PA. It is not a secret that the Amish are greatly responsible for a large number of puppymills and largely "feel" differently about animals than some others.

As far as your comment about dogs outside, NO I don't believe in "outside" dogs, I believe that all animals that are in your family (not talking about livestock) should be treated like family, but that is just my opinion and my belief. My big dogs had a doggy door and spent more time outside than inside but when they were inside they were treated like family members. Heck we put a 28ft long by 18 ft wide addition on our house for the "outside" dogs, turned out we ended up spending more time in the "dog room" with them then in the main part of the house!

I genuinely want to know if their were Amish who were small hobby breeders who were breeding ethically and soundly like real reputable breeders because sadly, I've not met one yet.

What was your breeding program like when you were breeding Labs? Did you adhere to the practices of the breed club or AKC? I love learning about these things.

As far as the OP, I do want her to be aware of what she might be getting in to and wondering if she checked her breeders out thoroughly? I have a puppymill dog, I know what I don't wish upon anyone....

I intended absolutely no offense to you personally.

Here is a link to for informational purposes:
Amish Country's Dark Puppy Mill Secret - PawNation
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!