View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Holly_Wood
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Trouble with the lay down command/trick

I'm not putting to much emphasis on this as Holly is only 3 going on 4 months old but started to do a few "training" sessions a day .. I saw a post on here with a lady that has videos on youtube explaining some of the techniques for training your dog to follow some of the more simple commands .... She put the little treat under the dogs chest and when the down went down to get it she says lay down and give the dog the treat ... repeating till the dog lay on its belly (after a few weeks I would presume) ... then only giving the treat once she's fully down .. eventually the dog lays down by following the lay down command (then treat is given) ...

So my little tike go the sit command pretty quickly and now goes around randomly sitting in front of us with the hopes of getting a treat :-P She picked up the fetch (I say go get it) and bring it command... she's not always consistent with the "give it" command yet....

So with the lay down command the first day she kind of went down on her belly, but the 2nd day and each day after that she just backs up with her head down to get the treat .... In this case do I "push" her down and once she's flat give her a treat or is there another method to giving them the que to lay down ?

Cheers and thanks ... this is my first puppy that been so young (got her at 9 - 10 weeks old) and with my other dogs didn't really do any of this apart from the "sit" and "stay" command .. I know she is really young and I need to be patient and I am but I like to learn myself as much as I can :-)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!