Thread: Surgery for LP
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
danniko
YT Addict

Default Surgery for LP

I haven't posted on here in awhile...so hi everyone!

Our little peanut was diagnosed with LP when she was under a year old and is now 4 years old. Her knees haven't changed too much in the last year but our vet has been talking about her surgery for years now, and she can't walk long distances without lifting a leg up but we have been putting the surgery off due to finances because I haven't worked in 3 years.

Yesterday, we had someone offer to lend us the money so we can get it done while I am not working and to pay her back once we are in a better place financially. This is amazing because 1. I can't believe someone is willing to help us and 2. Since I don't work and it is getting close to a time of year when Sophie never wants to go outside, this is the perfect time frame for us.

Anyway, for years I have said that if we could afford it, we would get it done so she can be comfortable, but now with this opportunity I am having second thoughts. I am full of the "what ifs"....like what if she doesn't make it through the surgery, what if it gets infected, what if it doesn't work, what if something happens to her...

I am naturally a pessimist and have this huge fear that since it isn't an emergency surgery something will happen to her and I will hate myself. Sophie is definitely my world and I would be so mad at myself if anything happened to her. She has been to the vet a few times lately with stomach issues and we were told she has stomach ulcers, and she is now doing well. She was spayed without problems when she was younger and when she was at the emergency vet we had blood work done and everything came back fine.

We will be going for a consultation but I want to be prepared so I don't forget to ask anything. So, I am hoping anyone who has been through this can answer a few questions for me:
1. How long was your baby in surgery for/were both legs done at once?
2. Was it hard for them to go to the bathroom after surgery?
3. How much was the entire surgery (I know this can be personal, but we were quoted $2000-$2500 per leg and we are trying to figure out beforehand if that was just the surgery or included the appointments/bloodwork/medicines etc)
4. Were you just as scared as I am right now? Sophe was 2lbs when she was fixed and it now 4.5lbs.
5. If both of her legs get done, how do they go to the bathroom if they can't squat or bend their knees?

Also, a long time ago someone made a post about the journey of having their dog's knees done and put up pictures from beginning to end and I cannot find it for the life of me...but when I looked at it when it was posted it was reassuring. All I remember is that it was a female dog and both of her legs were cast, if anyone knows where that post is, please link me to it...I really want to see it again!
danniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!