View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #46
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

IDK, I'm missing something.... If I can feel the glands, then they are full. I express them. If I cannot feel the glands, that means they're empty, and I can't express them, as there's nothing to express. I usually check them if my dog(s) are acting weird. If they're acting weird, and the glands are full, I express them. I don't express them all the time, only when it's needed. I check them during bath time, I feel for the telltale bumps at 5 & 7 O'clock.

If a dog is having anal gland problems (chronic fullness, spontaneous releasing, dripping), then his anal glands need to be monitored to prevent a more serious problem, like impaction or abscessing, which require surgery and antibiotics.

In my experience, a dog with a chronic problem may need to be checked every few days, to make sure the glands are being emptied as the dog defecates. Peek went through a period where I did express his every week when I first got him. I believe it was caused from a change in diet, and he had a mild infection so he was on antibiotics. Once his body adjusted to the changes, his anal glands went back to functioning normally on their own, for the majority of the time.

If a dog's anal glands are always full, then there is a problem.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!