View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 04:11 AM   #13
alisonJ
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbie
I really donnot think bird transmit the virus, even on the link you posted it says: Rest assured that parvovirus is specific to dogs alone and cannot be transmitted to humans or other pets of a different species, such as cats.

Bleach will probably kill your yard, if i am not mistaken, veterinary products suppliers already sell a cleaning liquid that kills most viruses.
Parvo virus can live in a enviroment for a long long time...but are you so concerned because you had problems before with the virus?

If not, i would just make sure the dog was properly vaccinated and you can always run a titer test to check his/her immunity to parvo.
The article does say that the disease can be transmitted if someone (including a bird) steps in the excrement of the infected dog. I think that is what Cindy was referring to. This doesn't mean the bird will contract parvo, it will just transmit the disease.

Also in the article referred to by Cindy, it gives the bleach/water mixture as something like 1 T/qt. (I wish I could cut and paste it to be sure, but the article is copyrighted).

It is interesting how long the virus can survive--according to the article 7 months or so. However, I still don't think it makes much sense to spray your yard with a bleach solution. It would be very difficult to clean every surface. If I had a dog with parvo I think would make sure all the dog poop in the yard was cleaned up, and I would clean all indoor surfaces with bleach-water solution. And I would make sure my other dogs had their vaccinations.
alisonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!