View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Verbena
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowfawn View Post
Hello! My name is Leslie. I am new to the site, and new to yorkies. I'm getting my first baby in about a week, and I've been looking around for a crate (mainly for training purposes). Most of the time someone will be home with her, but the crate will also need to be big enough for her to stay in on the off chance that someone isn't home to watch after her for an hour or two. I know that their adult size is rather unpredictable, but her mom is 7-8 lbs are her dad is 3 lbs.

I'm planning to train her to potty outside, and she'll need to sleep in the crate at night at least until she's pretty well potty trained.

I've been looking at 18" and 20" crates online, so It's hard to judge exactly how big they would be in person! I'm leaning toward the 20" or maybe even a 22", but it would be great to have a few opinions from yorkie owners!
The crate should be only big enough for them to stand up, turn around and lay down in. If it is too big they will do their business in there.

First I got the Midwest Lifestages Double Door Fold & Carry Crate.
22" L X 13" W X 16" H
Model 1622DD
For Dogs up to 10 lbs.

I then went out and got the Midwest iCrate Double Door Folding Dog Crates

18" L X 12" W X 14" H
For Pets 1-6 lbs.

Both come with dividers so you can make it smaller and they can grow into it.
I found the smallest one is best for us at the moment for potty training. Galen is a little guy at 3lbs 9 ozs. And I still have a divider in.

I would not go any bigger then the first one. Good luck in crate training. We are doing so far so good. Oh and I found great prices for them at petco. I like the double door ones.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!