View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 03:00 AM   #2
WJM
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkigal View Post
Hi there I'm new in YT, nice to meet you all : )

We recently got 2 yorkie puppies (2 boys) now 4.5 months, had all their vaccines so we've been taking them out for walks on their harness.
The trouble is they won't walk, they just freeze and lie there like a rug. We tried all sorts of coaxing, cheerios, their fav toys etc. but they just lie there.
Milo, the more active puppy will play with other dogs when they come sniffing. Sooty is more reluctant. I'd walk a few steps, kneel down and ask him to come, he'll come eventually when i wait patiently. Then I get up, walk a few steps and hv to kneel down again to wait for him to follow. This goes on our entire walk.
Am I doing something wrong with training? Please help, I'd love for our boys to enjoy walking more. May be cheerios aren't a good enough coax? Has anyone tried Yummeez treats? What other treats do yorkies love? Cheese?
Grateful for you help! Thanks!

Yorkigal

I would suggest attach their harness and leash in the house and just let them run around like that for awhile.. Play with them and Praise them to let them know that the Harness and Leash means fun times.. Then try just walking them around inside the house , give them praise when the do.. Gradually work your way towards the front door , give them praise and treats when they get to the door.. Eventually work your way outside , don't go too far the first time . It is a big world out there , they just need to get used to it..
WJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!