View Single Post
Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Huge Hard Toe
Letme first explain I am the crazy dog lady you hear about. I have theexpensive attitude of 'when in doubt go to the Vet'. This morning grooming wentas usual, no one needed nails clipped or fur cut from between their toes. Sooff to Mary Holland Lake park for our two mile walk. I have all the basics inmy big fanny pack, pepper spray on my wrist, and a walking stick. I am on thealert for snakes,bees, wasps, fire ant hills,alligators, free roaming big dogs, hawks, eagles, and poison toads. Thought Iwas girl scout ready for most anything. First Mile down, everyone watered andoff leash for a short romp. I called them away from the water edge, and threecame promptly wanting their stinky liver treat. Where was Rubin ? some how Ilost sight of him. I called," Ruby Boy Let's go ! " He started for meand yelped. I ran to him because he was holding his front right paw up. Ithought, Oh gosh a bee sting, thorn or something. I picked him up and jiggledthe the other dogs on leashes to a picnic table. I put Rubin in my lap toexamine his foot feeling relieved that I do have bendryl in my pack, IF he wasstung. I almost screamed when I saw his second toe. It was huge, nearly as bigas his center pad ! I swallowed the fear and gently touched it OMG it was hardas a rock and all weird feeling ! He whimpered. I am thinking OMG OMG as Icalled hubby on cell phone. Come get us OMG Ruby was bit by a snake orsomething his toe is ready to burst ! Hubby arrived in 4 minuets with half ashaved face and in his PJs. He barely had the car stopped when I yanked openthe door, screaming OMG OMG hurry. Hubby called our Vet on speaker phone, I amcrying and talking to nurse, 'No I didn't see a snake, no leg is not swollen,no blood, breathing is fine, Oh Mine ? sure I will try to calm down, we arealmost there OMG !' We pulled in making a cloud of gravel dust. I jumped outand ran for the door. They were waiting for me. I went straight to the examroom. Dr D was there calmly asking questions. The Tec took Ruby and gently sathim on the table. He was holding his foot up and tight against his body. Dr Dhad the Tec pick him up and she sat on the low stool looking up at his foot.She tenderly took his little foot and looked. She made that throat soundhaummm.. that means WTHeck. She turned the table lamp directly on his foot, andpeered at his huge hard toe, intently, and said "Well I'll be ... "she touched it and his toe popped off and landed on the table. I almost faintedbut then I heard the doc say," It was an Acorn cap and it was wedged sotight on his toe, I could hardly get it off !" Needless to say I humblypaid the thirthy-eight dollars for office call. All in a day of the life of myjust right Yorkies. Rubin, Gracie, Ginny Joy, and Abba.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!