Thread: Nervous Yorkie
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
TeresaM
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

All of my rescues have come with different levels of nervousness. It can take a year or more to get them to calm down, but they never lost it completely.

The best thing I’ve found is to not cuddle and talk ‘baby’ to them. But to calmly say, “stop, it’s ok, you’re safe, quit.” Or something similar in a normal tone and a calm manner. If being in his pen or behind you is his safe zone, then let him, but go about what you were doing and just keep repeating to him that everything is ok and that he is fine. As soon as he calms down reward with a treat or hug then, but not during his anxiety. This is what has always worked best for me.

My first rescue, Annie B, was terrified of storms. The first storm that came through she woke me up attached to my face, shaking so badly I thought she was having a seizure. When I realized what it was, I turn on the tv in the bedroom & the closet light & kept telling her she was ok. She eventually became only mildly anxious during storms and to the point where I only had to tell her she was ok and place my hand on her for a few minutes.

Boo, like your guy, is nervous of loud or sudden noises. When I know I’m going to make a sound that will scare him, I’ve learned to say, “Boo, Momma’s gonna make a big noise.” And he’ll leave the room for a few minutes. If it’s something sudden that scares us both, I don’t make a big deal of it, I just laugh and say, “Wow, that was sure a big noise.” And then go about my business. We’ve had Boo for 7 years, I don’t think this is something he’ll ever outgrow. But I don’t feel it’s because he feels unsafe with us, it’s just a part of his nature.

Good luck, and keep loving him. It’s obvious he feels safe with you or he wouldn’t try to hide behind you. He may never get over it, but at least he’ll know you’ll not ‘punish’ him when he does get scare.

Last edited by TeresaM; 08-30-2013 at 06:04 AM.
TeresaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!