View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
luckylady
Living My Yorkie Dream
Donating Member

I am never far from mom & pups for at least the first week of their life and sleep in the same room with the new family for their first few weeks. Yes, definitely step in and keep all the pups close to mom and check often that she did not accidentally lay on top of one. Watch the pups to make sure they are all latching on and eating well. Weigh them daily the first week and at least weekly after that. They should gain weight (or at the very least maintain it). My whelping box is an under the bed storage container with a large bathroom rug in it. Summer or winter a heating pad is kept on and underneath the rug on one side for the pups/mom....and mom will have the other side to rest in between feedings to cool off a bit. Puppies cannot regulate their body heat until they are a few weeks old; room temp should be 80 that first week.
Give mom as much food and water as she wants; she needs lots to keep up with feeding the babies. There is a whelping pudding recipe as a sticky at the top of the Breeders Forum; I use it every time I have a litter!
Congratulations & good luck with your pups & their mommy!

Last edited by luckylady; 08-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
luckylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!