View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
courtney1121
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Geno and Allergies

So I searched on here for allergy threads and it seems like this is a common thing that yorkies deal with. Geno has been itching and scratching since I can remember. When we took him to the vet 2 years ago, the vet told us its prob cause we use metal bowls and I'm like really....it's the metal bowls. I doubt it lol this wasn't our usual vet that we saw and we weren't too please with her lack of...I dunno what you wanna call it but she just didn't really seem to have a good reason to why she thought it was the bowls. She told us to give him Benadryl. So we did but it didn't seem to help. Well the past few months, I posted about how he kept licking his pee pee. Licking it way more than just cleaning himself down their. So off to the vet I went and the vet pretty much ruled out a UTI since his urine was fine, nothing smelly or anything like that. He prescribed Geni some Temeril-P which I guess is a corticosteroid. I was giving it to him for a little but it didn't seem to deter him from licking so I stopped. I started again cause his seasonal allergies are gonna start kicking in since the Fall causes him to itch and scratch way more frequently. Anyways, how long is it really suppose to take for this steroid to kick in to notice a difference? After a week, I didn't notice anything different. I saw that others will give their dogs OTC allergy medicines and was wondering how that worked out for them?

I used to think it was the food we gave him cause the breeder gave her pack the same food we did but she switched them to something else cause they would get itchy from it. So in return, we switched our food to what she changed her pack to but no difference for Geno on the itching. I really don't want to experiment with foods cause any food I switch Geno to, I'm gonna have to switch Mia to as well since I free feed them. Plus their food now seems to be pretty high quality so it's not like I switched them to some low quality kibble. I have been thinking of taking Geno to get an allergy test but I'm gonna have to save up a lot cause that will prob cost be up to a $1000 at the very least since we will have to see a dermatologist. Anyone else have this testing done and what was the estimated cost for it? I just want him to get some relief from this itching and I wish I just knew exactly what it was that caused it so I could help him out.

Join today and remove this ad!