View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #13
Holly_Wood
Senior Yorkie Talker

Having dogs off leash in public area's is a pet peeve of mine too .. I'm all for letting your pooch run free but in appropriate environments ... off leash dog parks or out in the woods somewhere ....

I had an experience similar but not as bad yesterday .. I live in an apartment complex with 3 buildings all 4 levels .. I'm on the 3rd .... so to take the dogs out you either use the stairs or the elevator ... seeing as I'm still mending from a heart attack I use the elevator for now ...

anyway standing at the 3rd floor waiting for the elevator, it opens and a dog comes flying out full flight straight at Holly. I didn't even have time to think and found that Holly was in my arms in less than a second and the dog flew past me it was lunging that hard at her. I'd pulled up into my arms with the leash, her harness is one that her legs go through and is almost like a jacket so she came straight up into my arms when I whipped her up with the leash .. basically her 4th time on a leash, and it scared the crap out of her ... she has been so so confident with the walking experience ... now she's constantly looking around the place or truing to get up on my leg ... the lady was pretty much clueless ... she had another one on a leash and basically just wanted to pat Holly because she's "cute" no sorry about that .. I mentioned to her that its lucky Holly has a harness on other wise I wouldn't have been able to get her out of the way so quickly .... she just says "yeah your lucky you got her out of the way" ...

I missed the elevator ... not that its a big deal .. (again she has no clue that the elevator doors have closed and its gone on its merry way ... these elevators take for every to there too) ... in about 2 mins down the hallway one her dogs starts barking incessantly and really fast and loud .. I hear her reprimand the dog once in a very wimpy way and the dog continues to fill the hallways of the apartment block with uncalled for noise .... this sets Holly into a panic and tried to crawl up the back of my head ... the elevator came and the barking didn't stop and could hear it echoing in the elevator shaft .. this made Holly even more freaked out .... needless to say that walk turning into a disaster .. as I mentioned she could not concentrate on walking looking around, jumping on my leg, whimpering (which is not like her) ... scooped her up and took her back home ... she was fine once inside and we will see how todays walk goes ..

hopefully it hasn't ruined all the good work Holly and I have been doing .... now I have to be on my guard for this nincompoop being in the elevator every time we go for a walk .... I wish I had said more to her and asked why her dog wasn't on a leash but was in shock and was way to nice to her .. if I see her again I'll find out what apartment she lives in and send an email to our apartment office as it is a rule that all dogs are on leashes ... but really want to let her know that her irresponsibility set my puppies progress back .. who known how much yet ....

Unfortunately people who have there dogs off leash seam to be a different breed than most dog owners and think their dog is perfect and above the rules .... sadly my wife was like that and would never put her Lab on a leash .... fortunately the Lab is mild mannered but even so if it runs up to some one and they don't like dogs or are afraid of them .. or a little dog is afraid of big dogs it makes for a bad experience .... she had the mind set that she has a right to have "her" experience be the way she wants it, having her dog be free .... many many times people have told her to leash her dog and she's been the one getting bent out of shape ... in 90% of cases I've managed to get through to her ... but if she goes to a beach park or something similar she just lets the dog out of the car and lets her run free ... it ticks me off to no end and basically I wont go on any outings when I know she's going to do that as I cant deal with it as it makes me so mad :-P

Anyway .. I've blabbed way way way to much and this all probably comes across as rambling dribble :-P

I'm glad the original posters pup is ok and hope the person in the neighborhood grows a brain and connects the leashes rather than just holding them in a token gesture to make people believe she "was" going to put the leashes on ....

Last edited by Holly_Wood; 08-27-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Holly_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!