View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

My oldest dog was diagnosed with CHF with an x-ray a veterinarian took. Another vet looked at the xray and said the same thing. The diagnosis, based on the x-ray from the first dog, was again confirmed again by a cardiologist who reviewed the x-ray.

I ended up taking him to a neurologist to figure out whether the "episodes" he was having, which led to the initial vet visit, were heart related or whether they were seizures, strokes etc etc. and it was there we did an ultrasound and and ECG and discovered he did not have CHF after all.

I would DEFINITELY recommend getting a ultrasound done, if you haven't yet. These little dogs can suffer from Mitral Valve Disease, which leads to CHF...and the ultrasound will allow the vet to see how well the valves are working.

My dog was put on both lasix and vetmedin to manage his CHF. The vetmedin dilates the blood vessels and the lasix is a diuretic. I hated giving him the lasix because it makes his kidneys work harder and I know how bad it makes people feel. We ended up taking my dog off the lasix, but he is still on the vetmedin because he does have a murmur...but I am hopeful we can wean him off that too. One of the things I've noticed is that my dog now pants. He NEVER used to pant in the summer or on walks like he does now. It seems like the vetmedin makes him winded.

I am not sure if the doctor talked to you about changing your dogs food...but you are going to want to change to a low sodium diet. I am not sure how your dog eats, but mine is a picky eater. We started out on H/D and I ran through a lot of foods that were lower in sodium.

If your dog won't eat H/D(which is .04% sodium), the second lowest I found was Wellness Canned Simple "Turkey and Potatoes, which is .07% sodium...which is lower in sodium than some of the "heart healthy diets." Royal Canine also makes perscription food. Pedigree makes a heart friendly diet. Innova Senior Canned is also lower in sodium....

You will also want to be careful with the treats you feed your dog. I switched everything around to low/no sodium. Sweet potato fries, Pup corn, freeze dried chicken/liver, Isle of Dogs Vital soft and chewy dog treats are a few I found that either are low in sodium.

The good news is... it is possible that a dog can live a fairly long healthy life with CHF, if it is managed properly. The bad news is...there is no cure. But it seems like you guys are headed in the right direction with the interernist and cardiologist. It's definitely something to take serious and be proactive about...and you aren't the only one who didn't know about the "coughing." My mom thought her dog was having a reverse sneeze!!
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!