Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
CouversMom
and Khloe Mae's too!
Donating Member

My answers are in blue:

You all are in the comfort of your own space and can respond honestly without fear of others judgement of you in public. So please answer these questions honestly, because I like MANY other people, like myself, REALLY DO want to know. There are 10 questions, I tried to narrow it down as best as I can. Pick and choose if you must, and answer those which are most important to you. I am doing this to PROMOTE a discussion on a topic that is very sensitive in hopes that we each get a better understanding of one another's perspective. It is also one in which I truthfully don't understand. Be prepared that my wording of the questions may be considered harsh but it really is what I and people I have spoken to reeeeeeally want to ask in exactly this way, So here goes:

When replying, for ease & understanding, please reference the # of the question you are responding to, Thank you.

Introduction: My husband and I are proud parents to a completely spoiled 16 month old fur baby who's treated as a little bitty HUMAN, in ALL WAYS. She is NOT spayed & will NOT ever be unless PROVEN TO BE ABSOLUTELY MEDICALLY NECESSARY. Yes, we heard about Cancer "allegedly" but don't ALL dogs end up getting it anyway? We've discussed this and she WILL be breed, with another puppy, we obtain, at the appropriate time with the help and under the care of her excellent Veterinarian. No matter how difficult it is, we will keep ALL of her litter babies, as we do not have the heart to seperate them from her. THAT WILL NOT CHANGE.

1. What type of FORMAL MEDICAL EDUCATION do breeders/rescuers have? If none, why are they allowed to care for dogs? Do they become EDUCATED through trial & Error?

There is a difference between breeders and rescuers. Rescuers do NOT breed the dogs they have, breeders do. I don't think that either are required to have medical education, isn't that what we have vets for?

3. What type of EXPERIENCE is REQUIRED to be a breeder/rescuer? If none, how is it determined that a person is QUALIFIED to care for Dogs? Do they become EXPERIENCED through trial & Error?

Again, there is a HUGE difference between breeder and rescuer. You are using these words interchangably when they are completely different people. There is no experience required to be a breeder... That is why we have puppy mills and backyard breeders. These people do not know what is best for the dogs and more often than not produce sickly pups.

Rescuers are often part of an organization. I am a member of a rescue and I have many people on my side who have a LOT of experience with the breed. We also use vets, who have knowledge about dogs.

4. If questions 2 and 3 cannot be answered in the affirmative, what makes them QUALIFIED to determine what a proper matching would be and what type of household would be appropriate.

Rescuers determine appropriate famillies for their dogs through experience. They know that people should have a fenced yard, time to spend with the dog, etc. This is common sense. They also know that they will not place a dog with someone who is going to breed it because that is the reason they are in the rescue business -- because so many people BREED!

Breeders bring these pups into the world and have every right to be picky about where they go.

5. Why do people & rescuers think it is acceptable or appropriate to approach, question, confront, or criticize those of us who DO NOT WISH TO SPAY/NEUTER, WANT to BREED, ANNNNNNND Tell us how to care for our dogs when we're just strolling along in public. Yes, We do desire helpful advise, WHEN ASKED, but isn't that crossing the line? If we asked you questions 1 and 2 would you be offended?

I think people are passionate about what they do and don't want to see more irresponsible breeders bringing pups into this world. As rescuers, we see firsthand the pain and suffering that these pups have to go through and are all about educating people.

6. Why can't I choose to BUY a puppy I see in a store window? Don't these puppies deserve to be saved too? Not all of them cost alot of $. In fact, there are plenty that are healthy and MUCH cheaper than a rescuers adoption fee.

Good luck with those puppies in the window. In the long run, those dogs can cost you more than a puppy from a reputable breeder would cost. There are members on here who have spent more than $10,000 on their pet store puppies.

7. Who determines when a puppy should be put down, is it a licensed Veterinarian, and DO rescuers ever question their superiors and INTERVENE on that dog's behalf if they disagree? Why is the term "put it down because it is suffering" used sooooooo loosely. Would we put a HUMAN down because they suffer? How many times do they bounce back? Why can't they die on their own?

I don't know where this question is coming from... I think owners decide for their own pet, but vets should be responsible for determining that the euthanasia is the best decision. I know that I went with my mother to put down her 17 year old shih-tzu and the vet discussed the different interventions we had done with her to make sure we had exhausted all other avenues before deciding to put her down.

8. What makes a "Rescuer" THINK that a SHELTER is EVER a BETTER place for a dog than a home that may have a few slight imperfections but is available. Some of their requirements seem ridiculous to potential adopters. (NOT talking about abuse: ie: fence, stairs, balconies, gate) Why can't a few in-person, @ THEIR facility, welfare checks suffice to see how the new family is adjusting?

Sometimes the shelter is a better place than a new home. A new home where the dog is going to be used as a money maker or breeder is a great example. It is better that the dog stay in the shelter than be used to produce more dogs that will eventually make their way to the shelter when they are no longer 'cute'.

9. Are ALL Rescues overseen by a Licensed Veterinarian? Are there STANDARDIZED rules that are followed by ALL rescue organizations that have been APPROVED by ANIMAL VETERINARIANS, as they are CLEARLY THE ONLY TRUE EXPERTS regarding analyzing, matching, and selecting who should and should not have a dog and for what VALID reasons.

There is no standardized list of rules for all rescues. When you start a rescue, you make your own rules. Why do you think that rescues don't have this right?

10. Why is it an ABSOLUTE requirement for rescuers to visit a potential adopters home? Doesn't it prevent MANY adoptions. Wouldn't a dog want to be in ANY loving home rather than in a cage @ a FACILITY or @ a "FOSTER" home later to be shuffled to yet another place.

Because they want to see where their pups are going to be placed. Responsible and reputable rescues do home visits. Period.

Many more questions but let's stop here.

Feel free to chime in, maybe you can sway some of us, maybe you cannot, but I think if we all get a better understanding of this topic, IT WOULD BE GREAT!

P.s. - pls excuse any (sp?) & typos,sure they are somewhere here, didn't proofread.

I am sorry that you have such a negative attitude toward rescues, but they are the ones that deal with the sick and neglected animals that no one else wants.

Spend some time in the sick/injured section on this forum and you might change your mind.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!