Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Sunnydayz
YT 500 Club Member

1. What type of FORMAL MEDICAL EDUCATION do breeders/rescuers have? If none, why are they allowed to care for dogs? Do they become EDUCATED through trial & Error?

I'm not qualified to answer this question as far as a breeder, or a rescuer of dogs for that matter although I have taken in rescued dogs for many years and they always had a forever home with me till their time had come.

I can however speak on behalf of being a rescuer of cats. My husband is a firefighter, and he has brought me, I think about six litters of feral wild kittens, that he has found on the job, abandoned by their mothers. I bottle fed each and every litter and loved them like they were my kids. I learned through experience as we have a very large feral cat population in Southern California , due to people thinking its ok to just dump their pets when they are no longer wanted. I also help the org. That takes care of these colonies of cats by trapping, fixing and releasing them. It's very heart breaking seeing how sick and injured they become just because someone thought they were expendable.

4. If questions 2 and 3 cannot be answered in the affirmative, what makes them QUALIFIED to determine what a proper matching would be and what type of household would be appropriate.

It's extremely important to do home checks to make sure a rescued baby is going to the proper home, so they don't end up abandoned, hurt, sick, homeless, killed injured or injuring somebody themselves. You cannot just go on blind trust, after the time and love you have put into the rescuing of that animal.
You need to make sure that pet. Is going to a secure environment, physically, mentally and financially. I have done home checks on every one of my kittens I have adopted out. One may love children, while another may be terrified of them. They may or may not get along with other animals, there are many things to consider when adopting out a pet to a new home. I always, and I do mean every single time, make sure the kitten is fixed, has all shots and will only be an inside pet, as I would never want them to end up where their parents did. This is only the short version of my answer :-) from seeing all the homeless pets running the streets, I would leave it up to the professionals who do complete health screenings and are selling quality pets to answer for the breeders on this one.

On a side note, the yorkie puppy I have right now, is because I heard of someone on my street trying to sell one for $400 that was very sick. I did give the girl the money just to get him out of her hands, and I immediately rushed him to my vet, where he would have died within a few short hours had I not rescued him from the situation. The money meant nothing to me compared to saving his life. By the time I got to the vet, within 20 mins of getting him, he was pretty much in a hypoglycemic coma, and it took a lot of care, loss of sleep and nurturing to save his life. I don't know where he originally came from because the girl s gone, but I really don't care because at least I saved Gizmos life and I would never regret that.

5. Why do people & rescuers think it is acceptable or appropriate to approach, question, confront, or criticize those of us who DO NOT WISH TO SPAY/NEUTER, WANT to BREED, ANNNNNNND Tell us how to care for our dogs when we're just strolling along in public. Yes, We do desire helpful advise, WHEN ASKED, but isn't that crossing the line? If we asked you questions 1 and 2 would you be offended?

I would never be offended. I will neuter Gizmo when he is six months old to make sure he can never breed. The question would not offend me.

6. Why can't I choose to BUY a puppy I see in a store window? Don't these puppies deserve to be saved too? Not all of them cost alot of $. In fact, there are plenty that are healthy and MUCH cheaper than a rescuers adoption fee.

In Southern California we actually have a law against selling puppies in stores to deter backyard breeding. The reason a puppy from a reputable breed is more expensive is because of all the costs of health screenings and care that has gone into that puppy to make sure it is healthy and well nurtured and socialized . For instance, Gizmo is at the vet again for his third time in 2 weeks, because first he was hypoglycemic and dying, then shots, then deworming and loss of fur that was ripped out from the girl that had him, because she thought it was easier to just rip his fur out with a brush, than to properly unravel all the matting that was on him, and let me tell you, it took me 4 different hour sessions to untangle all the other Matt's that were on him. And who knows what his health will be as an adult because I have no idea what the health of the parent dogs were. Just something to think about if you are thinking about breeding, just the costs involved with proper vet care of the puppies and screenings of both parents for any hereditary genes either the Male or female dogs you have might carry.

7. Who determines when a puppy should be put down, is it a licensed Veterinarian, and DO rescuers ever question their superiors and INTERVENE on that dog's behalf if they disagree? Why is the term "put it down because it is suffering" used sooooooo loosely. Would we put a HUMAN down because they suffer? How many times do they bounce back? Why can't they die on their own?

I absolutely think no animal should suffer to their death. I have put down 2 cats in my life, one was suffering severely from stomach cancer and could eat nothing, and was just lying there unable to move because the cancerous tumor took up her whole stomach, she was a stray wild cat by the way, that I had been feeding outside for 9 years. The other was one of my rescued kittens named Madison, who had thyroid cancer, and from that was going into heart failure and kidney failure. She was from the first litter of babies I raised from 2 days old, and she was 12 yrs old. I never took either one of them lightly, and it's a very hard thing to go through and very hard to forget. I loved them both and that is why I refused to let them suffer a painful death.

8. What makes a "Rescuer" THINK that a SHELTER is EVER a BETTER place for a dog than a home that may have a few slight imperfections but is available. Some of their requirements seem ridiculous to potential adopters. (NOT talking about abuse: ie: fence, stairs, balconies, gate) Why can't a few in-person, @ THEIR facility, welfare checks suffice to see how the new family is adjusting?

A shelter is never a great place, but a lot of homes are not either. Believe me I have checked some pretty bad homes, and turned them down. This is exactly why I would never breed my animals and always have them fixed. There would be no animals in shelters if all people took care of their pets.

9. Are ALL Rescues overseen by a Licensed Veterinarian? Are there STANDARDIZED rules that are followed by ALL rescue organizations that have been APPROVED by ANIMAL VETERINARIANS, as they are CLEARLY THE ONLY TRUE EXPERTS regarding analyzing, matching, and selecting who should and should not have a dog and for what VALID reasons.

I do have an awesome vet, and first thing I do when I take in animals I rescue is to have their health checked. BUT...the vet did not raise them, they don't know the personalities like I so, or who would be the right fit. They only know whether that animal is healthy or not. I on the other hand have bottle fed them, nurtured them, know each personality and what that animal is most comfortable with. I have even had my grand daughter who is seven play with the kittens I have raised, and give them the love of a child, so they would have more options of homes, but some of them no matter what did not like children. It's really important for an animal to fit the right home so it does not end up in a shelter or dumped on the side of the road somewhere.

10. Why is it an ABSOLUTE requirement for rescuers to visit a potential adopters home? Doesn't it prevent MANY adoptions. Wouldn't a dog want to be in ANY loving home rather than in a cage @ a FACILITY or @ a "FOSTER" home later to be shuffled to yet another place.

I think I answered that with my other answers :-).
Sunnydayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!