Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Lovetodream88
Yorkie mom of 4
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachesmommy View Post
You all are in the comfort of your own space and can respond honestly without fear of others judgement of you in public. So please answer these questions honestly, because I like MANY other people, like myself, REALLY DO want to know. There are 10 questions, I tried to narrow it down as best as I can. Pick and choose if you must, and answer those which are most important to you. I am doing this to PROMOTE a discussion on a topic that is very sensitive in hopes that we each get a better understanding of one another's perspective. It is also one in which I truthfully don't understand. Be prepared that my wording of the questions may be considered harsh but it really is what I and people I have spoken to reeeeeeally want to ask in exactly this way, So here goes:

When replying, for ease & understanding, please reference the # of the question you are responding to, Thank you.

Introduction: My husband and I are proud parents to a completely spoiled 16 month old fur baby who's treated as a little bitty HUMAN, in ALL WAYS. She is NOT spayed & will NOT ever be unless PROVEN TO BE ABSOLUTELY MEDICALLY NECESSARY. Yes, we heard about Cancer "allegedly" but don't ALL dogs end up getting it anyway? We've discussed this and she WILL be breed, with another puppy, we obtain, at the appropriate time with the help and under the care of her excellent Veterinarian. No matter how difficult it is, we will keep ALL of her litter babies, as we do not have the heart to seperate them from her. THAT WILL NOT CHANGE.

1. What type of FORMAL MEDICAL EDUCATION do breeders/rescuers have? If none, why are they allowed to care for dogs? Do they become EDUCATED through trial & Error?

3. What type of EXPERIENCE is REQUIRED to be a breeder/rescuer? If none, how is it determined that a person is QUALIFIED to care for Dogs? Do they become EXPERIENCED through trial & Error?

4. If questions 2 and 3 cannot be answered in the affirmative, what makes them QUALIFIED to determine what a proper matching would be and what type of household would be appropriate.

5. Why do people & rescuers think it is acceptable or appropriate to approach, question, confront, or criticize those of us who DO NOT WISH TO SPAY/NEUTER, WANT to BREED, ANNNNNNND Tell us how to care for our dogs when we're just strolling along in public. Yes, We do desire helpful advise, WHEN ASKED, but isn't that crossing the line? If we asked you questions 1 and 2 would you be offended?

6. Why can't I choose to BUY a puppy I see in a store window? Don't these puppies deserve to be saved too? Not all of them cost alot of $. In fact, there are plenty that are healthy and MUCH cheaper than a rescuers adoption fee.

7. Who determines when a puppy should be put down, is it a licensed Veterinarian, and DO rescuers ever question their superiors and INTERVENE on that dog's behalf if they disagree? Why is the term "put it down because it is suffering" used sooooooo loosely. Would we put a HUMAN down because they suffer? How many times do they bounce back? Why can't they die on their own?

8. What makes a "Rescuer" THINK that a SHELTER is EVER a BETTER place for a dog than a home that may have a few slight imperfections but is available. Some of their requirements seem ridiculous to potential adopters. (NOT talking about abuse: ie: fence, stairs, balconies, gate) Why can't a few in-person, @ THEIR facility, welfare checks suffice to see how the new family is adjusting?

9. Are ALL Rescues overseen by a Licensed Veterinarian? Are there STANDARDIZED rules that are followed by ALL rescue organizations that have been APPROVED by ANIMAL VETERINARIANS, as they are CLEARLY THE ONLY TRUE EXPERTS regarding analyzing, matching, and selecting who should and should not have a dog and for what VALID reasons.

10. Why is it an ABSOLUTE requirement for rescuers to visit a potential adopters home? Doesn't it prevent MANY adoptions. Wouldn't a dog want to be in ANY loving home rather than in a cage @ a FACILITY or @ a "FOSTER" home later to be shuffled to yet another place.

Many more questions but let's stop here.

Feel free to chime in, maybe you can sway some of us, maybe you cannot, but I think if we all get a better understanding of this topic, IT WOULD BE GREAT!

P.s. - pls excuse any (sp?) & typos,sure they are somewhere here, didn't proofread.
First off not only can they get cancer from not being spayed they can also get an illness that can kill them in 24 hours. They also need to be watched VERY closely when in heat and can not go outside alone or be around any intact males. Reputable breeders do not just give out breeding rights to anyone one because breeders word hard for them so I am scared that sense you didn't have a reputable breeder that your female may have genetic illness and problems in her lines which could cause you to have puppies born suffering there whole lives, not live long or born with conditions that could cost you thousands of dollars per puppy. It is also dangerous to breed and puts you females life at risk and she could die if something goes wrong during whelping and you didn't know the signs to look for. Any yorkie under 5 pounds should NEVER be bred ever. If you do love you dog like a human child you should not take the chance of risking her life. I also encourage people who are breeding even if they want to keep all the pups to please go to a few shelters especially kill shelters and look at all the unwanted dogs who are brought into this world and how many are going to be killed. Also if you female is a mix she really should not be breed again no reputable breeder would ever breed mixes.

#1. It is not required for a breeder to have any kind of education in breeding that is why we have so many sick puppies, dogs with genetic illness, and shelters full of dogs and puppies. Good breeds will further there knowledge though and study and learn for at least a year and have a mentor who breeds that they learn from and watch many litters being whelped before they start to breed. A breeder and a rescuer are two different things a rescuer takes came of dogs who have been abandoned, abused and unwanted.

#3 There is nothing required but there sure are things that reputable breeders do vs. back yard breeders.

#4 They know the problems of what makes dogs end up in the rescue and they know what is dangerous for that type of dog.

#5 Because there are many many bad people out there who breed for only profit and do not care about there dogs or even doing it right. There are also millions upon millions of dogs being killed and put down simply because there are to many and they don't have homes. The only reason one should is to better the breed. Breeding is something VERY serious no only because it risks the life of the animal being breed but because you are bring living beings into this word the feel and have needs.

#6 Puppies sold in pet stores come from puppy mills if you buy that puppy you are supporting the puppy mill and the terrible conditions of which the breeding dogs are kept in. If no one buys the puppies the price continues to get dropped until the pet store makes no money off of that puppy and stops buying so many and stops selling them or the pet store has to close. You may think the puppies are healthy but most are not and most wont have the genetic issues show up until 2 years of age. Also a lot of these puppies are bought on a whim and I bet half of them end up in shelters when people either figure out how much more work they are, they have some kind of behavior issues, got to big, or just don't want them.

#7 Some shelters chose to put a dog down after it has been there for a certain a mount of time, some chose to put a dog down when they can not afford the surgery or health care it might need, some simply put them down when the Vet says the dog is suffering and nothing can be done. I think that humans should be allowed to be "put down" when there is no chance of bouncing back and they are dying in terrible pain. If a dog is suffering and nothing can be done it is cruel to keep them alive.

#8 Most rescue dogs have been through A LOT and they do not want to put them through anymore. They want a fence so the dog is not just let outside alone and free to get hit by a car, stolen, killed for the heck of it or run off and get lost. Many rescuers look at the new family's on a case by case thing and somethings maybe over looked for some dogs and some things maybe even more important then other homes. Keeping the dog safe and cared about is what the rescue is worried about.

#9 Normally each rescue has a vet they use but the vet is not in charge of places the dogs because his job is the health care of the pet not the new home and placing the pet.

#10 A rescue absolutely will not put a dog in harms way or in a bad home. People who rescue dogs love them and want what is best for them and most of them stay in the same foster home until a new home is found. In most foster homes they are treated just like the other pets and are very happy.

I'm not sure if its rescues or breeding you are trying to get more info about. It does seem like you are angry at rescues and I am not sure why.
Lovetodream88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!