View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
theporkieyorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
Is there a statement on the application that they sign stating that all decisions are final and are made after extensive consideration for the best fit as it relates to the breed specific needs, age of children, fence yard....blah, blah, blah.

You should also have a statement that you do not discriminate against race, religion or sexual orientation, of. Ourse with the exception of those who eat dog

I think you did the right thing. Like it or not...you have the right to refuse them!!

I was refused when looking for a rescue dog...because I didn't meet the requirements(I don't have a fenced in yard) AND because the rescue didn't think the dog was a right match for me and my dog. It was disappointing, but a sensible person would move on and find another dog that better suits their needs.

It's sort of hard to claim racism when you adopted the dog out to people of the same ethnicity. I am sure the people behind the Rescue will see that...especially when they hear the rest of the story.

If it were me, I'd tell them that you go over all of the applications and find the family that best suits the dog...as it's ultimately the dogs welfare that EVERYONE, including ALL of the potential adopters should be concerned about. And with the dogs background(being a puppy mill survivor) and it's temperament, you found it best suited with another adopter.

You could tell the mom that it would much worse to let the dog go to that 17 year old girl, let her get attached and have it NOT work out and have the little girl broken-hearted because she has to give back her dog...AND then on top of that...then you'd have a dog, who's already coming from horrible circumstances, now displaced AGAIN only to have to be rehomed all over again...which would only contribute to the damage already done from the puppy mill.

It's no fair to the dog...and it's no fair to the kid. Perhaps you can tug on her motherly heart strings a little and she can see that you were only trying to do what's best for EVERYONE involved.
theporkieyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!