View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
intilis
YT 500 Club Member

Question should I change vets?

I really dislike my local vet so have been traveling about 35 minutes to a different practice for several years. I've always been happy there before now. They have 4 docs, one I really like, 2 are ok, and one is too dismissive of issues for my taste. I always try to get an appoijtment with the one I like best, but it's not always possible.

At every visit I ask how their teeth look, and up till now i've always been told they look great, no dental needed. This year the vet I like told me Phoebe needed a cleaning. I was shocked that she lost 6 teeth! I can't help but wonder if that would have been prevented if she had a cleaning sooner (she's 3).

At Stanley's check up, the vet I DON'T like said he wasn't ready for a dental yet. He then proceeded to say, "he'll probably lose a few teeth but its not worth putting him under anesthesia at this point." I know I should have discussed that with him but I was shocked speechless. After giving it some thought, I waited a few weeks & scheduled a dental. I just said his gums were inflamed (They were) & he needed it done. He lost 3 teeth.

I'm not sure how I should react to this. Am I overreacting to the tooth loss, or were they too casual about this? I hate to start searching for a new vet, but I'm not sure I still trust them. Any advice??
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!