View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TresCutePiggies View Post
I personally wouldn't. Ever since I discovered some Milk Bones have what is simply listed as "meat" as an ingredient, I vowed my girls would never get even another taste of one as a special treat when a well-meaning person offered something up to them. One of my pup's health issues would prohibit it these days anyway, but the bottom line is anything with simply "meat" listed as an ingredient MAY contain euthanized cats and dogs from animal shelters as a protein source. Horrifying doesn't even begin to cover my feelings on this, not a risk I'm personally willing to take. I encourage you to do your own research too.

I've pasted an excerpt below from: Where?s the Beef? Why your dog should never eat another Milk-Bone or Beggin Strip, and you should avoid the Slim Jims. | Dirty Popcorn.

One of the best suggestions I'd gotten about treats was from Rory's board-certified nutritionist. She eats the dehydrated fruits and veggies you can make yourself (too much work for me) or buy in little bags. Blueberries are a good one. I like the Just Tomatoes brand, though the blueberries are called Just Blueberries, for obvious reasons. We buy ours at Whole Foods: Organic - Just Tomatoes, Etc.!.

Cocotherapy also makes some good training treats too. I personally like the Fruit Crunch, Veggie Crunch, and Five Star Organic treats (only one calorie each).

CocoTherapy Fruit Crunch Dog Treats, 100% Fruit Treats for Dogs, Coconut Oil Pet Treats
Cocotherapy Veggie Crunch Dog Treats
Coconut Gingered Pumpkin Five Star Organic Dog Treats by Cocotherapy
Coconut Banana Five Star Organic Dog Treats by Cocotherapy.

All the Cocotherapy treats are USDA certified organic and people can (and do) eat them too.

As far as "dog food" treats, I like the Stella & Chewy's Carnivore Kisses, but these days with the limitations on one of my girls I stick with the fruits and veggies primarily, and I love knowing it is literally human-grade food in there. Even the best pet foods, don't have many ingredients fit for human consumption in them.
Omg Peanut loooooves the Coco therapy banana treats!! I love how small they are.. Perfect for his little mouth!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!