View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
Maritta
Yorkie Yakker

My yorkie, Kecia, passed away last year at age 17. The last year and a half of her life she quickly lost her sight and hearing and was completely blind/deaf for probably about a year. I was really surprised at how quickly she adapted. I also kept her confined to a smaller space and obviously never moved her water, food, or bed so she was able to find them easily. She would run into walls and stuff but she walked slowly and so no injuries occurred. I found she took great comfort in being held and just being a true lap dog 100% of the time. Try to avoid taking her outside of his usual comfort places. I had to take Kecia to a family reunion where she was with me the entire time but at night when it was time to sleep in the hotel, she was really stressed and couldn't relax/sleep, needless to say neither one of us slept those 3 nights and it was not enjoyable for either of us. Just being there for him, cuddling and reassuring him is the best thing. As for food there is a high calorie brand that is great for gaining weight and keeping their teeth clean. I buy it at my vet's office, it's Prescription Diet, t/d oral health...they come in different sizes and are recommended to use as a treat because they can gain weight quickly from it. Kecia ate it as her main diet and, although she did drop a pound in her old age, it kept her in the 3-4lbs range for her final years.
Maritta is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!