View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Awww that sucks. I am sure it's hard with her being so small. I actually love the fact that Jackson is SUCH a treat mongrel and will do anything for food, it makes him extremely easy to train in agility or otherwise, but he is 17lbs so a big difference with amounts you can feed.

In agility, we use tiny bits of low fat string mozzarella cheese (I would only use less than half a stick in an hour class) but we also use Bravo! training bites. Super super tiny pieces, and the turkey ones are low fat, only ingredient is freeze dried turkey. A lot of treats have a lot of ingredients and/or high in fat. I'd also look into Cloud Star Buddy Biscuits (the soft ones)... they can be broken up into tiny pieces easily.

I found chicken to be a pain... I tried it once at a class and just ended up dropping too much and the trainers don't like that because the other dogs are then just scrounging the ground for the leftovers.

For agility, I like to use high value rewards, like that was the only night of the week he would get cheese (we're not currently in classes, but when we were) because it makes him willing to work harder. In a distracting environment such as agility class, cheerios or kibble would never cut it, for him anyway.

If she works for praise or toys though, there is no reason you can't do that and HAVE to use food. IF she works for it, that's great.

Last edited by Britster; 08-17-2013 at 04:01 PM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!