View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollysMommy13 View Post
Thanks you for the positive comments. For those that may be skeptical about my question,I wasn't planning on beating my puppy. I was just asking for some extra help with the situation. I do scold her if its in the wrong spot and I praise her when she gets it right. I always give her a treat when she potty's on her pad. Like I said before, she rarely does this and I guess I was wondering if I wasn't doing something I should or if its just that she couldn't make it to her pad. I fully understand that she's a baby and if she were a toddler I wouldn't punish her. This is all new to me and I was trying to get info to help make it easier on her and I both. Thanks again everyone!!
I didn't think you meant physical punishment. However, as I wrote earlier, potty training is an area that I strongly believe positive reinforcement methods work best -- especially for Yorkies and small dogs who are more challenging to train. I wouldn't scold. I would give a correction that doesn't resemble scolding. An "uh oh" or "uh uh uh" for instance.

Scolding a pup for potty issues can end up being confusing and cause a pup to want to hide and go in the wrong place. Or it can become a game.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!