View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
lainacohen
Senior Yorkie Talker

Smile Considering Fostering - Advice Needed!

A little back story about myself -

It's hard for me to really recall my life before a dog. In January of 1993 our family added a new addition. She had been a gift for my fathers birthday, in reality she was a gift that has given me a lifetime of great joy and love. I was walking home from school that afternoon; I was six years old and in the first grade. My brother and our neighbor were a few yards in front of me, as usual no one wants to walk next to their little sister. We lived less than a quarter mile from the elementary but of course when you are six years old in the Ohio winter walking down the hill and up the hill seems like country away. We had reached the top of the last hill, our house was almost in sight when we saw the family van pull up next to us; in shock of course we never got picked up from school, our parents worked long hours and we spent the afternoon at our neighbors daycare until someone was home from work. We didn't challenge the gift of my fathers ride even if it was out of the normal and only a few yards to the house. My brother claimed the front seat, as older brothers always do, but this time I was thrilled to be the one in the back. My fathers red milk crate was on the rear seat I bent down to move it when I realized a bundle of blonde puppy was happily inside begging for attention, we named her Madeline, Maddy for short and we spent 17 years loving her while she was with us, and we have spent 3 years loving her memory.

Chloe entered our lives a bit later, my father had been brought up with Huskies and always had a soft part of his heart for the breed, when his mother had a litter of pure breeds we added her to our family as well. Chloe was beautiful and probably the strangest dog I have ever known, she was more like a cat and I swear when she barked it sounds more like a cow then anything else. Sadly Chloe left us too soon. When she was 12 her back legs gave out. Ernest Hemingway said it best, 'it happened gradually, then suddenly', she back to walk strangely almost on top of her back paw, then the other until she no longer had any control of her back legs or bladder. I was in my Sophomore year at University sitting in English class when I received a text from my mother that they had decided to let Chloe go. I abruptly excused myself from class and along with a fellow student I drove the hour home to hug and kiss her before my parents arrived to take her to her peace. They asked me to come with them but I couldn't manage I cared her to the car, that was the most I could do.

Maddy was a single dog again for a few years. I graduated University in 2009; Maddy had had several health issues throughout the years, on more then one occasion my parents thought they would have to put her down but I would discourage it and she always bounced back. Well after graduation I decided to move to Australia, Maddy was 17 and I knew one way or the other when I got on the plane to Australia I was never going to see her again. I heard my parents whispers about wanting to let her go after I left the country but I refused to listen to them and promised Maddy she would be with me till I left. I kept my promise. I boarded the plane to Australia, when I landed I turned on my phone and made one very expensive phone call to the states. It was 8am in Australia, evening in the states, my father answered the phone. After letting him know I had landed and was safe he conducted a somber tone and informed me he had to tell me something. I cut him off as fast as I could, I had just landed in a strange country and had no plans on starting my life in Sydney with the news that he had put Maddy down. A few weeks later after I had settled I let him tell me his 'news'. He started by saying it wasn't what I had thought. At the exact moment that my plane had landed in Australia, Maddy had passed away on her own. It was as if she was waiting for me to be safe and far away, she knew I couldn't let her go, and didn't want me to go through it. It was the greatest gift she could have given me at that time in my life and I am forever thankful.

Several years of wandering came about, I lived in Australia, then NYC, followed by Boston. Eventually I found my way back home to Cleveland. Maddy had been my first dog and for several years my last. About a year ago tragedy hit my life in several different ways and I couldn't seem to find a way out from underneath a dark cloud that kept following me. The dominos kept tumbling down and as hard as I tried I didn't see how I could stop them.

I had thought about getting another dog for some time but had never been in a place long enough to do so, when it seemed all hope was lost a good friend of mine did a google search and found Winnie. I saw her picture and I just new. I adopted her at 9 weeks she will be 11 months shortly, she saved my life.

It's hard to remember what life was like without her, and without a doubt I am sure I wouldn't be here writing this today if she wasn't with me.

My commitment to adoption and rescuing has been secured in my heart because of my experience. I want to be able to bring this, hope, love, loyalty, to other people and animals in need.

I have been researching rescues and fostering for some time now and I have a strong desire to learn more. I would love to be able to speak with someone who maybe able to answer some of my questions and concerns and hopefully lead me in the right direction to help save more lives.

Thank you very much for reading my long winded tale. I had every intention of keeping this brief.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!