View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #19
Used to Stink
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default My Yorkie Used to Stink

Four years ago we adopted a 21 month old Yorkie, 5.5 lbs and we were the 3rd owner. The boy always stunk minutes after giving him a bath and we tried too many processes to help him. He didn't have red skin or any other symptoms that stood out. About 6 months ago we noticed he was licking his front paws and I read somewhere that was an indication of a yeast infection. First thing we solved was the constant weeping and staining near his eyes. Angel eyes took care of that problem. He then had the farts and we control his diet to dried chicken treats and dry dog food with sweat potato and salmon. He likes it a lot. The boy still stunk. We tried Vet's Best Super Deodorizing Dog Shampoo and it worked for 2 days. I read white vinegar was effective against external skin infections so I gave it a try. First I washed him with shampoo then rinsed him. Then I used a 16 ounce cup with 50/50 mix of white vinegar and warm water in his wash basin. I worked the vinegar into his coat over and over again, while being careful to not get it in his eyes for about 10 minutes. I washed him with vinegar 3 times the first week, 2 times the next week, 1 time the next week, then 1 time every two weeks, and he has gone up to 6 weeks without a bath. Now we bath him and use the vinegar solution every month. For us we would rather have the boy smell like a pickle for a day and not stink for a month. Prior to solving the mystery we couldn't let him on the furniture, and we couldn't have his bed in the same room as ours. Now that our boy doesn't stink he is such a joy to have around. Just a very loving family member. We now realize how much he suffered because we couldn't be close to him for more than a few minutes each day in the past four years. One exception: We live in a hot humid climate and he does have a pungent dog smell after he comes back from his two daily walks. Once he cools down the smell goes away. If this write up helps another Yorkie owner, it will be well worth the time I've invested in writing this.
Used to Stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!