View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
Sunnydayz
YT 500 Club Member

Default Should I remove food and water at bedtime ?

I just rescued the most adorable little yorkie. He weighs 1.4 pounds at 12 weeks old, and this girl was selling him. I took one look at him and his eyes were glazed over, unable to focus. He could not barely wake up, and I knew something was very wrong. I pretty much just shoved the money at the girl and took the pup immediately to the vet.

The puppy who is now Gizmo was almost completely in a hypoglycemic coma. Just by the time I took him from the girl and went to the vet he had gone completely downhill. His little gums were pure white, but thankfully he came back negative for parvovirus which was a great relief to me. The vet than injected a powerful sugar shot which roused him awake a bit. I then took him home and for the first 24 hours gave him Caro syrup and nutrical. He finally started coming to and started eating and drinking.

This was 3 days ago and he is so amazing !!!!! You would never know he almost died and I am so relieved. I have been leaving food and water for him to have at will so he could get his strength back, and his gums are pink now and he's turned into a little lickamonster lol. I am so glad I was the one to go look at him, because I don't think anyone else would have taken him seeing how sick he was, and I truly believe that horrible girl would have just let little Gizmo die. But now you would never even guess he had gone through that.

So that's the story of how I came to have Gizmo, but now my question is..... How long should I let him have his food and water at will? Should I remove it at night before bedtime, now that he is acting normal and has pinked back up? This is my first yorkie and I have been devouring this forum for the last 2 days lol, but can't seem to find an answer for the situation.

I am still giving the nutrical and syrup around 4 to 5 times a day. I am also feeding him a rx food high in protein and fat to put some meat on his little bones as he was very malnourished.

You all are so wonderful here and I have gained a ton of great info.

Thanks o much in advance for any help :-)
Sunnydayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!