View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
This is going to be long, but I want to give all the pertinent info....I have searched this site and others for months trying to get help for my 9 pound year old yorkie Tyrone. He started itching at about 6 months, mid winter, and had greasy, smelly hair, and skin falling off in yellowish sheets, as well as thinning hair. This has all been on his back...from his neck to his haunches, and around his eyes...nowhere else really. Vet put him through two rounds of Temeril and antibiotics, and put him on Royal Canin Anallergenic food for 10 weeks. The meds were a miracle...almost instant relief and healing, but sure enough within a week or so of being off the the Temeril, it would begin all over again. Back to the vet, diagnosed with atopy, and on Atopica now for 12 days so far. Within a day or so, the scratching lessened dramatically and his back started to scab over and heal. A little loose stool, but was told to expect that possible side effect. He seemed to be handling the medication fairly well. Now today, he has been lethargic all day, off his feed, and not drinking water at all, and just a few hours ago he went bananas scratching, rolling, rubbing on anything he can and running in circles maniacally! Called vet (he's considered the best around here, young, up to date, and highly recommended by everyone...) and he said bathe him, benedryl, and be patient...the Atopica can take some time to work. I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone else had this experience with the Atopica...everyone online talks about how wonderful it is, but I don't know what to expect in this process. Does it have ups and downs for awhile? How long before I can expect positive results? Any suggestions orrelated experience with this med? Thanks in advance...just desperate!
Hang in there and don't give up. Atopica can take up to 6 weeks to ramp up properly. Some dogs show some relief quickly, some take longer...it may go in spurts too. Don't get discouraged though, bc I think it's hopeful that you've witnessed a little relief already .

With the severity of your kiddo, I wonder if one day you should do allergy tests, have you considered it yet? The great thing about Atopica is that they can stay on that med and still do allergy tests at any time (whereas they have to off all steroids to do testing).

I really feel your pain bc dog allergies are so frustrating and hard to watch, when you just want to make them feel better. I know you'll get Tyrone there eventually, so hang in there. And please keep us updated on his progress.

O Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie O
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!