Thread: Baby Food
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #12
McheleM
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemom1 View Post
Coccidia is common in all dogs...stress causes the pup to break with the diarrhea, requiring treatment. Sending a baby out before it is ready to be weaned, is stressful for the baby....loss of momma, siblings, everything that baby was familiar with and JUST really getting accustomed to, is suddenly gone, and baby finds itself surrounded by strangers, strange environment, strange schedule, strange food changes....WHAM!! stress for the baby.......overwhelming stress! This is yet ANOTHER reason for NOT sending a baby to new owners before 12-14 weeks of age.....another reason for keeping the food the breeder has the baby on, until at least 8 months of age, so the baby has some reasonable grasp on what is familiar to him. In the case of a baby that is "dumped" on new owners before that baby is NOT even weaned completely, you need to do the weaning! As I am transitioning my babies from momma to weaned completely.....and I let momma control and direct the weaning process, I just supplement nursing with the mousse, then the gruel, and I give the warm formula....5-8 weeks old (or goats milk as they get a little older....8 - 10 weeks old), during the day, so they can learn to lap up milk from a shallow dish....I use a lid from Folgers coffee can...it has a little edge....they will learn to lick then lap from the shallow lid....they look forward to that last dish of warm formula at night before they are put to bed....I never remove momma from the babies until SHE says she is over it! She will allow them to suckle, like a baby with a pacifier, which I think is necessary for security and comfort....and of course, I love to watch her do the teaching she does to the babies....it is absolutely fascinating and so endearing to watch! For a "breeder" to deprive a baby of this wonderful, miraculous bonding/teaching/learning experience, I find absolutely reprehensible. Good luck with your little baby! Keep us posted and ask any questions or clarification you need!
I just want to say, if I ever get another yorkie, I am coming to you. You are one of the most knowledgable breeders I have come in contact with, and I know you care about 1. Bettering the breed and 2. Where your puppies go and making sure they are with the best family. I am very impressed by you and your breeding program and just want to give you kudos!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!