View Single Post
Old 08-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
ChibiLuv
and molliluv too!
Donating Member

aw so sweet of you to recuse an older puppy mill survivor. We get puppy mill dogs at our shelter all the time (just got in 16 Pekingese's!) The main advice I always tell people is to go slow. I would get her used to you leaving and coming back, I like the idea of the play pen above- that way any accidents are easily cleaned. I would spend a couple hours a day putting her in her pen and walking out of the room for a few minutes then coming back. Vary the time you are gone so it's short sometimes and longer others. Separation anxiety dogs have low self confidence and being with them all the time just fuels their dependency, you have to teach them that they are OK when they are alone and that you will be back. As far as her and your husband- I like the idea of your husband feeding her. Also spend time with her and your husband, letting him pet her maybe while you hold her or are near her to let her slowly get used to him. It can take months and even sometimes years but with these guys when you finally get that little break through it means the world!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!