View Single Post
Old 08-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresiana View Post
Recently, I haven't really been able to determine my alpha. Before the puppy arrived two months ago, it was definitely Yoshi (older male). But lately, Yoshi & Momo (the girl with the issue) are somewhat of a "team". The puppy (Prima) definitely follows their lead. In fact, Yoshi & Momo are on the couch snuggled up next to each other taking a nap right now. Prima is on the couch with them, but not snuggled in. She's off to the side a little. They usually sleep that way. Yoshi & Momo are shoulder to shoulder during walks, while Prima is behind them. I wouldn't say that Momo is being shunned by the other two. Momo is the one isolating herself. When I wrote the first post in this thread & tried to come up with examples of when she does this, I realized that it's mainly during mealtime & treat time. I've been watching them today to see if it happens any other times. So far, no.

Maybe Momo is feeling ill. She doesn't seem any different physically, so I never considered that. It could be that she has a tooth issue since she seems to withdraw herself when food is involved. I'll definitely make an appointment for her for Monday. Thank you for that advice!!

Other than being ill, would there be any other reason that a dog would withdraw from the pack when food is present?
Those that hold back when food is present, if not due a personal illness or pain-related, usually hold back because that dog is being sent signals from another dog that that dog doesn't have permission to eat with the pack. Most dogs honor that as long as it is a pack thing and allow it go forth and are quite understanding and happy with that situation unless they feel they are capable and it is time they assumed an alpha role. A dominant dog that is attempting to supplant the existing alpha(s) will not tolerate being directed by the other(s) and usually will always create a problem constantly challenging the authority of the other dog(s), approaching the meal, and testing his boundaries to see if he can get the alpha(s) to back off and allow him to take over. Older or an alpha sensing the other dog is wiser/stronger, etc., may quietly back away and allow the transition to take place. Other alpha dogs will give the would-be alpha a stern stare down, focus in on them and walk toward them to back them off. Or they may show teeth, growl, nip or flat out attack, depending upon the assessment the alpha has made of the attempt and the strength of will/ability behind that attempt. With some subservient dogs, just the flick of an ear or a body attitude of an alpha or even a scent sent forth can send a clear message and they back off, needing no more overt signals to know their place and agree with it. If you dog is suddenly doing this and did not used to, as I say it could be a pack thing or a personal illness/pain of some type that has developed. Or that dog has just developed a fear of eating for some reason. I would try changing the treats for her to boiled chicken or warm turkey hot dogs - something really luscious - and see if that too is ignored or avoided even when the other dogs are out of the room. Then, if she does take that food, bring the other dogs in one at a time and see if she backs off from one of the other dogs being around. If so, then that other dog is sending a signal she isn't allowed to eat due to hierarchy rules.

If she ignores the treat/food change and won't take it at all, there is a problem with her and if the problem is not from illness/pain, she might have developed some fear of food related to a traumatic experience that happened when eating and will have to be desensitized to eat normally again with the others around. Sometimes if a dog is eating and there is a foreign object that sticks the tongue or mouth or they have a painful tooth, sensitive tongue due to being bitten or a sore spot in the mouth, they can be traumatized by that, particularly a somewhat nervous or slightly unstable dog at that time, perhaps due to changes in its lifestyle or environment. Something that trivial to us can traumatize some dogs and make them fearful of that activity in the future.

A fearful dog will often isolate/go into avoidance of others when the fear trigger is present. They dislike showing their weakness or fear, programmed to keep it secret if they can, and attempt to disguise/hide it.

Last edited by yorkietalkjilly; 08-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.
yorkietalkjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!