View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

Desensitize him to it slowly and make it represent something good. For a few days, say "Good Brush", show it to him and give him a treat instantly. Do this for about 2 - 3 minutes x3 daily, taking a 30 seconds between each encounter. In a couple of days, in addition to the "Good Brush"/treat sessions, put the brush in his toy basket, toss some treats around it in there beside it. Other times, place it next to his food dish and allow him to eat with it near. Anytime you are loving him, get the brush and lay it alongside you where he can see it and give him a little treat from time to time when he looks at or acknowledges it. Keep up the "Good Brush"/treat sessions.

Put peanut butter on the back of the brush and allow him to lick it off. If he can't tolerate peanut butter due to GI issues, spread a bit of dog food on it and allow him to lick it off. When he's outside playing, toss the brush for him to run to and look at it, grab and play with if he will. Treat him if he does.

Before long, with the treating and "Good Brush" sessions for a few days, lay the back of the brush on his body and say "Good brush" and give him a treat. Keep on doing that for a couple or so days for just a few encounters each time, say 5 or 6, then turn it around and let him feel the brush bristles upon his back for a few seconds and then treat him. Take a week or so to keep doing that and the "Good Brush"/treat sessions.

After a week, gently, briefly brush once along his back and treat him, saying "Good brush" as you do. Get up and walk away and get him busy focusing on something else. In an hour, repeat the once brush stroke/treat/walk away. This shows him that even though I'm getting that dreaded brushing that I used to hate, it is only one time and then it is OVER - I can take that and besides, I get a treat and then we do something else. No problem!

Just do that single stroke brushing/treat a few times a day with a good, juicy treat each time, toss a ball or start a play session and he will eventually allow you to brush him a few times and slowly but surely work up to longer sessions. In time, if you go slowly enough and make him comfortable enough around it over a long, slow period of desensitization where he is not threatened by it but slowly allowed to grow used to it just being around and eventually on him, touching him briefly for treats, he should be able to tolerate brief brushing after a while and then longer brushings until it is just another part of his day.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!