View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
littleyorkie100
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Toilet training - 18 months old

Hi all

I wondered if anyone can advise. I posted a while ago as my new 1 year old yorkie girlie was weeing and poo'ing all over the front room at night. We had trips to and from the vet as the vet though that because of the volume she could have weak muscles. She had never had a season also so the vet thought she might be hermaphrodite.

Well, 6 months on and we had our first season on Monday very pelased to say the least! However, despite medication for weak muscles she is still doing her business at night in the house.

I do feel she may have some slight muscle weakness because if she wants to go tothe toilet she will run for the door (which is kept open for her) and sometimes can't make it that far and will have an accident on her way out. This is fine though - not a problem with this. I put this down to not realisin she needs the loo until the last minute or weak muscles - but she is showing willing by heading for the garden.

But at night- it's a disaster. I regularly get up to 2-3 poos and about 5 wees. Some big, some drops but mostly big. I even wondered if it was hormonal because of not having a season etc?!

I think my only option now is to crate. She has had a bad up bringing as a baby and trusts me a lot but it's going to be so hard to crate her from my side.

Any advice on alternative methods or how to slowly introduce the crate. Taking into account she is just gettig her confidence and trust s don't want to scupper that.

I was thinking of introducing the crate as a safe place, feed her in there etc, leave it open with toys placed in. Have tried once before and she wouldn't go near it - and was cowering when I was half in trying to show her it was safe.

I live in a rented house with a rather expensive woden floor (already here) and she is destroying it - not sure what else I can do. Tried puppy pads but she flings them around and chews them.

Thanks

PS: to add also, I am even sleeping with the backdoor open for her to encourage her but no joy. She won't go out at night. She is also doing her business before bed.

Last edited by littleyorkie100; 08-01-2013 at 02:41 AM.
littleyorkie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!