View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
livingdustmops
Princess Poop A Lot
Donating Member

I posted this on another thread and hope it helps you.

No, I would not bring your dog as the rescue is already confused/scared and trust me they will get along given some time. First the new one has to spend time just with you so they can smell you and learn to trust you (your drive home would help with this). When a new rescue comes in, which is very scary with a pack of 10 I set up my xpen in the backyard and put the new one in the xpen and then I let everyone out. They all make a mad dash to the pen and then the sniffing, leg lifting, growling etc, begins but the new one is protected. I let this go on until my gang wanders away and the rescue looks at me and says what are they doing? I then open the pen and let the rescue out to start wandering around. If my gang comes back, in droves I am ready to jump in if there are any serious problems (I have never had to do this) but usually the new one will let everyone say hi by smelling the fanny. It is very important that this process happens and sometimes there are little nips but that is not reason enough to jump in as the other dogs have to learn the new one can take care of itself. Because we are outside no one feels to threatened by the new one. I always also have an xpen set up in the house so this is where I put the rescue (in my family room) so again everyone gets comfortable with the new dog. The new dog feels protected and I watch for her/him to show interest in the other dogs. Usually once out everyone goes running through the house like mad demons and I again I watch for stress on the new one and if I feel everyone is running the new one down then I put them back in the pen. At first they spend more time in the pen but I just think everyone needs to feel safe. I do not separate the new dog into a other room but the room we are all in so they get comfortable.
If everyone is comfortable right off the bat then you won't need the pen in the house but you will have to gage that. If you are the least concerned use the pen and feed the new one in the pen but last. Food order is important as it shows pecking order and you don't want to confuse the little ones you already have.
I am not sure what you do with sleeping but my whole gang sleeps with me and I always allow a rescue to sleep with me also but more about that later if you get this little one.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will try to help
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!