View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Sometimes stuffed, sometimes not. He will usually just run away with a stuffed Kong/toy, but this is usually when he is sitting on his bed with the toy but either resting or not generally interested in the toy. Most of the time he is fine, this is totally random. He also did this the other day when I was unhooking him from his carseat. I had given him a bully stick to keep him occupied in the car. He was not even chewing on it when I went to unhook him, he was eager to get out. He barked at me like "Get away!" I just closed the door and left him there for a minute until he calmed down. I don't know if that was the right thing to do.

I will definately continue with the trade. I always use a treat, I never thought to use a second stuffed toy/bone/etc. That makes sense. If he thinks I am going to take something chewable away and only give him a treat that is gone in 2 seconds that is not a fair trade. Also, I have never taken anything of HIS away from him like that, so I don't know why this is an issue? Getting down low is interesting, I will try that one! My husband is much taller than me and bigger in general. Could that be why most of the time this is directed toward him? I have seen a difference when I sit down next to him and approach him like that. I will pay more attention now.

He finally did learn fetch and therefore the drop command. He places the toy IN MY HAND when I say drop to ensure that I know he brought it back and guarantee his treat. So I know we can fix this I just need help.

Also, is it possible that he is just afraid I am going to pick him up/pet him and he does not want that at that particular time? Could that be part of it? If so, what do I do to teach him a better way to react? Like, I am trying to make the bed and he is on it (he is allowed). Before I would have picked him up moved him and he would have barked at me (I could see that look.) Instead I asked him to get off. He did. Now he is fine.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!