View Single Post
Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Object Posessiveness

In an effort to avoid the debate repeated on several other threads, I'm moving this question over here. I'm hoping that all this discussion on training will encourage a lot of threads on various training issues and techniques that we have actually used and have been successful. Yorkies are unique and require extra work to train, so I'm hoping we can all discuss various problems we are having and ideas on how to solve them.

Loki is a fast learner, so I just need to find the right way to teach him this. I am currently having problems with drop (we trade) and leave it. He is very good with low value items but very bad with high value items, but he will usually trade for a treat OR if I shake the treat can (and yell come) he will come running and I can give him a treat and then go pick up the object. I only do this when necessary. If he steals a sock I ignore him. That DOES work and he drops it when he realizes no one will chase him.

We are having problems when he has something like his Kong. Randomly he will freak out like someone is going to steal it and growl or bark. We either ignore it (like just walk past him like we were going to anyway) or I tell him NO and give him a time out. I could also try approaching him with a treat and giving him a treat when he lets me pet him. I've been trying to pet him a lot when he has a toy so he learns I'm not going to take it away. 9 out of 10 times he's fine. I don't know where this comes from. Could it be something as simple as my body language that I am unaware of?

Also, he will leave something like a dropped paperclip if I ask but will growl/bark at me over a piece of cheese that falls on the floor. For that he gets an immediate time out. It IS improving but not there yet. I want to know what you all have done.

The trainer says the freak out bark is his saying "DON'T TOUCH ME" or "I DON'T LIKE THAT!" It's like he does not know how to control his temper. I've discussed this with the trainer and will continue to follow up with her, but I need advice from Yorkie owners.

I am also trying to treat him like a 50 pound dog and not handle him as much and respect his space. That is helping as well.

Thank you for your help!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!