View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
LilysMomma
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 036 Food and Poop! Kibble/Canned

Hello everybody!

I adopted Lily about three weeks ago and we've been having a lovely time bonding and getting to know each other. Of course I don't have to tell all of YOU that I'm already in love with her and of course want what's best for her!

Lily's facts: She's 2 years old and weighs 10lbs. She was adopted from another family and it's known that she's a Yorkshire/Norwich Terrier mix, a true "Norkie". I switched her from Nutro brand food that she was on prior to adoption, to Halo kibbles. At present she eats 1/4 cup for breakfast and 1/4 cup for dinner. She usually poops 2-3 times a day, her poops are never foul odored and are always nice and solid. The directions on the bag say that pups around her size should eat 3/4 - 1 cups per day. I'd like to add 1/4 cup of wet food daily to get her to 3/4 cup. At this point she has only had wet food when she's needed to take medication but LOVED it (of course). When we first adopted her, I originally mixed the two but I think it was a bit too soon when switching her food as she had some indigestion issues. She also SCARFED it because I'm sure it was delicious for her. Now she's comfortable on the 1/4 cup kibble for breakfast and dinner and supplemented with Blue Buffalo Stix (1/2 stick daily) and Sojo's organic small biscuits for treats as well as a few raw carrots each day. Lily walks 2+ miles a day, she's a real walker so I am watching her sugar intake with these treats but keep in mind that she gets a lot of exercise on her walks and playing with her family and doggy friends in the neighborhood.

Up to this point I have been slowly increasing the amount of kibble I feed her because we did not have her old food to wean her off of, she stopped eating the Nutro abruptly. Trying to give her the new food full go immediately is what caused the indigestion issue (long gone now) and why I stopped the canned food and only started increasing her kibble.

Question 1 - How much food does your babe eat and how many times does s/he poop?

Question 2 - Do you use canned food? 2b - How do you feed it? Mixed in with kibble? Do you serve it separate with meals or in between?

Just want to get an idea from those of you who DO feed kibble and canned food about what your babies eat and eliminate.

A word about food - We could all spend hours if not days debating what the best diet is for our dogs, we could do that for humans as well! We all have many different opinions, lots of people go only raw, lots of people only go kibble. I've done extensive amounts of research and speaking with my vet who is incredibly holistic minded when it comes to nutrition and decided to go with Halo Small Breed kibble as well as Halo food for many reasons. I am aware of the amount of meat protein vs. plant protein in this food and we have discussed in depth with two vets and an animal nutritionist and came to the conclusion that this is what's best for her body right now. In a perfect world, YES I would love to cook my Lily dinner and prepare her meals myself. Perhaps one day my schedule will allow this. I will rotate her food and supplement quality meats when I can but for the most part I will be relying on a kibble and canned food diet, at least to start.

Thanks for reading my LONG post, I'd love to hear about how much your dogs eat and poop!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!