Thread: First Puppy
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 AM   #3
dalady25
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepink11 View Post
Hi! So I adopted my first puppy, an adorable little female yorkie. I picked her up last weekend, she is 9 weeks old. I took her to the vet Monday, she weighs 2 pounds. The vet was very impressed with her demeanor though, said she was very sweet and let her do what she needed to. (and then they told me she had a flea!!!!! omg I have no animals at all and she had been at my house for a night. I am still itching thinking about it and I feel terrible for the puppy. Any suggestions on chemical free ways to get rid of them let me know!!!!)

Anyway, I have been researching for awhile but I know its nothing compared to the real thing. And that is even clearer now than it was before!!! lol. Right now she is in her crate crying and I am feeling like a terrible mommy! I felt so much more prepared before I actually got her! But I just love her, she follows me around and sits at my feet but still looks scared most of the time. How do I train her or do anything with her without scaring her since she is so young? After reading through the boards I see that a lot of yall say the puppies should not leave until they are older. I completely understand why. Her were already standing straight up at 8 weeks, is that normal? They looked more like chihuahua ears. But she is AKC registered. I am sure I am just being overly... everything. Do I let her cry? How long? SO many questions and everyone has a different answer!!

Anyway... this post is so ridiculous... and probably not the best intro bc it makes me sound a little crazy but chalk it up to little sleep for a brand new overly worried mommy!!!

So Hi!!!! From Me and Emmie <3
Hi & welcome to YT,

Congratulations on the new puppy.

Can't help a whole lot with the training issues, having only done that once a long time ago. I'll leave that to some more experienced ones here.

As far as the flea goes, my guess would be she picked it up at the vet's. That happened to me with my mini-Schnauzer once. I almost freaked out too. I saw it on her while still at the vet's office & got it off her; never saw another one on her. She was on K9 Advantix for years.

Also, my niece who was a long-time vet tech & vet student, told me to NEVER use Sargent's (& probably any other brand of---just not sure) flea shampoo on such a small animal; she had seen young & small dogs that had actually died from it---too strong for their little systems.

My new baby (Milo, the Yorkie) has been on Advantix K9 II (for under 10 lbs) the last 3 months & so far it has worked very well--not a sign or fleas or ticks. It has been a really bad season for them here in my area of Alabama. Of course you need to check with your vet & see what he recommends before doing anything else about it---just call & ask. I'd think they'd be happy to give you that advice over the phone with no charge---mine does.
dalady25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!