View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #32
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

There certainly are two sides and still sometimes you wonder how much of the entire or correct situation you might be getting when a Yorkie is concerned.

Donna, you know the adoptive mom personally and know for sure what she is saying is completely truthful about the dog's living conditions and shots situation? I personally know of rescue situations where a great deal of "funny business" was taking place when a certain kind of dog would come in. It does seem very odd the dog would be listed for adoption under the circumstances.

I wonder about both stories/situations a bit. As far as the OP, I don't quite understand why one would surrender a beloved pet to rescue for a non-life/limb threatening condition where time isn't a huge factor as anti-anti-NSAID's and pain Rx. can help keep it comfortable until only hours later, money was coming that could cover correcting the medical problem. Or what the money given by someone out of the blue and unknown at the time of the surrender?

And the biggest question of all as raised above - what is the future situation for a possible future illness or injury requiring more high-dollar vetting? And if the dog's home situation wasn't that ideal, it's unfortunate but not a deal breaker unless the part about the teeth and dog's diet are true and there is no way for the OP to permanently change some things to make this dog's situation far better.

I personally would rather do without a dog and all the joy and companionship and love of having one if I couldn't manage to give the little thing at least a good life, with timely provision for his needs. I wouldn't have one if I couldn't get it to the ER vet at the time of an emergency. No dog should have to lie desperately ill, broken or hurting waiting until and if someone can come by and take it to the vet sooner or later.

Hopefully, if the home situation for the dog can be improved and ready money be available for basic and elective and emergency vetting and some of the other things corrected so that the dog's full needs can be met, this rescue will consider the love and plight of the older lady and her need for her dog and see if they can't offer the new adoptive mom choice of the next dog she would care for. Sometimes people do get desperate and leap into something and the rules and disclaimers are all going over their head as their grief and stress of what they are doing in surrendering the dog really does stun them into failing to grasp everything they need to about the finality of that step. Still, if I were the rescue agency, I would proceed cautiously and be certain the dog's future needs could be easily met.

OP, I am very, very sorry for this terrible situation and how it has probably wrecked your life, doing something so painful. But hopefully you can work out something that will be good for the dog, yourself and the rescue agency. I'll certainly keep you and that little dog in my prayers.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!