Thread: Blood in stools
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Chas W
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default blood in stools

PLEASE get your pup to the vet, and ask him/her to test for HGE! I had a similar thing occur with our Graysee, since this past Saturday. I took her to the vet today, and now she is spending the night in the hospital, on intravenous fluids, as a precaution against a possible case of HGE (hemorrhagic gastroenteritis), which, if left untreated, can often be fatal. Fortunately, she hadn't begun the bloody diarrhea yet, and it's possible that it is only an intestinal tract infection, but the vet was taking no chances. Graysee started vomiting up her food on Saturday, and has been doing so ever since. I took her because I was worried that she could become dehydrated, and that is also an effect of this disorder. I had never heard of HGE, but I find, after studying up, that it is fairly common in young, adult small-breed dogs, specifically Yorkies, among others. SO, now I'm going thru a bad case of Yorkie withdrawal symptoms, as she is ALWAYS by my side! I don't even know if I'll get to sleep tonight without her being here. Thankfully, if this IS HGE, it has been discovered very early, and her time in the hospital will be short; a day or two. Please take your pup to the vet!!!! I have seen many recent posts about pups getting sick and vomiting, and having bloody diarrhea. I have also read, online, about the recent spate of dog and cat illness from Blue Buffalo pet food. Apparently, the company was sold fairly recently, and many pets have been getting sick; our Graysee has been eating Blue Buffalo for the past couple years, but I am now giving her anymore. I will find a new food to give her after she recovers from this current bout of whatever it is.
Chas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!