View Single Post
Old 07-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
YorkOfTheShire
BANNED!

Gypsy (she is supposedly 10 weeks now but I really don't know that for sure) was the same way for the first few days we had her. She isn't like that anymore.

The important thing is nipping it in the bud now while she's still young.

I'm not a dog trainer of any kind.

We took 1 day and every single time she'd show any signs of aggression over food or treats or toys or dogs - even something small - we'd take *only that one thing* she had away from her for 20 minutes. 20 minutes is an eternity for a puppy. She finally caught on that if she wanted any toys, treats, food, the other dogs to play with or petting she had to be nice or she got none of it. It took a full day, and that was it.

I never said No or corrected or said anything to her in a firm voice, I just took everything away from her so she was left with nothing. She tried to go for our feet as we sat on the couch, after taking all her stuff away after she went from one thing to the next. We put our feet up so she literally had zero to occupy her time. She just kind of nosed around and sat there...looking sad.

We're not mean - that is what worked for us. It may not work with your puppy, but it's worth a try.

The reason I didn't tell her no, or say anything in a firm voice is because I didn't want her associating her toys, treats and food with a negative from my voice. Saying nothing, but taking all her stuff the second she started getting testy - was more than enough. I prefer to save my stern voice for times when she's going to be in danger if she doesn't listen...because she'll listen much better if I don't speak sternly except on very rare occasions. If you holler all the time and say no all the time for everything they're doing that you don't like...or prefer they not do, they tend to tune you out. At least that's what I've learned in the 14 yrs we've had our dogs. I only use a firm voice when they're in deep doo-doo and I have only screamed bloody murder at one of them - one time, and it was justified...made him stop in his tracks and turn back around.
YorkOfTheShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!