View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #4
YorkOfTheShire
BANNED!

If I may add my two cents, we had the same problem with Bella. She was pad trained, but she'd travel. Some dogs are travelers and some just stand in place to do their business. So...she'd poo on her pad and then take off with it still attached to her bottom, only to drop it somewhere else, or she'd poo on the pad and step in it and wander off. This is difficult to train because they DO go where they're supposed to, and you don't want to admonish/scold them for anything around the pad, because that will only confuse them...and make them think they're doing bad by going on the pad, and then you've opened a whole new can of worms.

I think Jess is not pooping on the floor. I think when you come home from being out and you see her poo on the floor it is most likely what Bella used to do - poop on the pad but run off before it had fallen *to* the pad.

The only way I could fix this issue was by taking a week and devoting it entirely to Bella. I would watch her like a hawk, except for during sleep, and through the night I would wake 1 time to take her to her pad to potty. Otherwise, my days were nothing but Bella for a week straight.

It worked.

When Jess goes to her pad and begins to poo, slowly walk over to her and hold her with one hand on one side of her rib cage and the other on the other side - gently...and say "potty still". Well...Bella knows "still" means don't move...so I don't know if this will work for Jess. With Bella we use still at the vet's office and for grooming and nail clipping, so she knew still meant to not wander off and potty meant 'do your business'. It took a week of this, but after that week we never had a problem.

It sounds to me like Jess knows where to go, and she's going where she should - she just doesn't stay for the entire 'poop process' to finish before wandering around, which is causing her to step in poo and run off with it before she's done.

I could be wrong - but it sounds exactly the same as Bella's issues early on.

Good luck!

PS - I wouldn't go for anything that has a slatted base for the poo to fall through. Yorkies are too tiny for that and there have been broken nails, broken toes and even broken foot bones reported with toy breeds kept on wire bottoms or slatted bottomed kennels/cages.
YorkOfTheShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!