Thread: Merle Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #58
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemy View Post
Very much interested in this answer, and to the whole article per say.

I would not assume the genetic variant is bad, but au contraire might actually be good for the overall health of the breed/

Merle to Merle breeding in ANY Breed is bad news, and has been known to be so for many years 15 or more.

What breeders still don't get, is please do the genetic testing that is Available for your breed. This testing can be done at days old, usually through a cheek swab.

For Yorkies Pra gene, Hyperuriscosuria, and Color Dilution Alopecia genetic tests.

If you breed clear to clear it is my understanding you will not have a carrier nor a dog affected with these diseases.

And the more genetic tests we have the better. For breeders can find out very early on, if any of their very young pups should be kept for breeding.
I agree that genetic variation is probably good--it gives more traits to pick and choose from for breeding the best, healthiest dogs possible. But I'll reserve final judgment until I've had a chance to read the research.

And also, it's true that if you breed clear (healthy non-carriers) to clear, you will be able eliminate the bad traits from your breeding population.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!