View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
Marhcarter
♡Huey's Human♡
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faboosh View Post
Congrats on your little one!! I can relate to the biting thing & rest assured that Mia will be find with kids and her biting will stop. Billi is about 19 weeks now- she was the same age as Mia when we got her & OMG her biting was out of control at first! Those teeth are like little razor blades!

What we did was make a high pitched "squeak", like "OUCH!" & then pull our hand away & quit playing for a few seconds. Then we'd put our hand back and if she bit again we'd pull away again. It didn't take more than a day or so for her to get the message and she's much, MUCH better now. And I'd fully trust her with kids now (though I don't trust kids with her, not unsupervised anyway). Try doing that with Mia and I'll bet she gets the message too! Good luck!
This is what I have done with Huey both as a pup and even now when he (rarely) gets a little anxious for his treat and tries to take my fingers with it!

I would be very careful with people-food as yorkies are quite prone to digestive issues and pancreatitis. I have a treat-motivated monster, too, and he is a cheeseaholic. I have resorted to frozen green beens and I also get baby carrots, but slice them lengthwise into at least fourths, if not smaller, since he doesn't seem to care about the size, just the treat itself. I also use Blue Buffalo treats but also cut them into tiny pieces.
Yorkies are crafty-smart and your new furbaby will have you trained inno time! Mine will bring me a toy to throw, but won't actually let me have it unless I have treats available to give to him IF he decides to bring it back.
He also shows me when he has forbidden objects (shoe, quarter, grocery receipt) so I will "trade" a treat for it...Victoria Stillwell's positive reinforcement training backfired on this one.
Good luch on the training and congrats on the new furbaby!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!