View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Congratulations on your new puppy.

I agree, careful with the treats or you might end up with a puppy who doesn't want to eat her food. Also, you don't want the treats to exceed 10 - 20% of her entire diet or you risk upsetting the nutrient balance that dogs need.

I wouldn't be disappointed that she doesn't like cheese. It is fattening and can cause serious health problems if used to excess. I give my big boys only a couple tiny shreds of Parmesan (less fat) when we make pizza (which is often in this house ).

Baked chicken -- make sure it doesn't have salt or other seasonings. We steam or bake plain chicken for our guys.

Biting - definitely need to continue to work on that. She is teething and she is a puppy. Keep replacing your hands with an appropriate chew item like a toy. If she nips, you can yelp and fold your hands across your chest. I taught my boys "no bite" and when they didn't listen, I withdrew my attention. Playtime ended and I got up and walked away.

Rambunctiousness -- puppies are full of energy and will only cuddle when they want to. Set up a schedule of activities including meal times, sleep times, brief play times and training, and so on. Try to do the activities at the same time each day. This will have a calming effect and her body will fall into a rhythm of expecting things at certain times. She still will be an energetic puppy though.

Accept that cuddling will come only when she is tired. I combined nap time with grooming/massage/cuddle. When Max would take a nap in his doggy bed, I would put him on my lap and massage him, then introduce the comb gently.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!