View Single Post
Old 07-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
CountryHope
Yorkie Yakker

Animal Smiley 019 New Yorkie Parent--LOTS OF QUESTIONS!

Hi! I am new to the forum, and to yorkie ownership. I am loving my little yorkie girl, Mia, but have lots of questions. She is almost 10 weeks old, and we have had her for 1 week. For the first few days, she was just all love and cuddles and sweetness. Now that she is more comfortable in our home, she is hyper, and loves to play-bite when she is excited. She is impossible to love and cuddle with right now because she won't stay still, and keeps trying to jump down out of my arms--or else just wants to bite. Within 24 hours of getting her home, she learned to sit. She very much wants to please! However, she is VERY PICKY about food, and the treats I bought for training are of no interest to her. I eventually found out that she loves baked chicken (our leftovers), and used that to teach her to sit. When we ran out of chicken, I tried cheese--which she LOVED, until the second day I tried to use it and she turned her nose up at it. When she is being trained with food treats that she loves, she is so crazy hyper that it is difficult to get her under control. All she wants is the treats. So, since I ran out of chicken, and the cheese didn't interest her anymore, I thought I would reward her with PLAY. I think that is where I went wrong. She learned to lie down, but gets so excited when I praise her that she wants to bite and chew something! I would grab a chew toy to divert her from my hands, and we would play tug-of-war (I am careful to make sure I win.). The problem is, now that is the only kind of attention she wants. I don't know how to settle her down again and cuddle with her. It is almost impossible to groom her right now because she won't keep still. I read the thread on teaching bite inhibition, and decided that maybe I should just let her play-bite if that is what is making her feel loved right now, and as long as there is no real sign of aggression. I do think she is probably teething, also, so there is that to contend with too. Am I doing right to let her play rough and bite, or am I allowing behavior that is going to be a nightmare when she gets older? I want her to be able to be around children and others without having to worry about whether she is going to bite them! Also, I don't know what to reward her with for good behavior because she is so picky! I've tried Cheerios, she seems to have real trouble chewing them. They keep coming back out of her mouth! I have more questions, which I will address later, but if anyone can give advice on this it would be very appreciated!
CountryHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!