View Single Post
Old 02-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Yorkie Mum
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jady's baby
Hello! Yesterday I took my 6 months old Yorkie to have a hair cut, but the salon manager called me an hour later saying he is way too hyper and they cannot give him a hair cut. He has never get a hair cut since i got him at the age of 2 months, and his hair is a little too long now (esp the hair around the belly, they got wet when he pee sometimes >.<)

My yorkie is really really (VERY!!!!) hyper, I have posted some post on my local pet discussion board and some people told me he may have genetic problem, is this possible? I took him to get a check up when I 1st got him home, and the vet said he is not sick or anything. But he just cant stop moving when he sees people/dogs/food/animals/toys/ANYTHING! and when he cant get what he want, he just keep crying non-stop until you yelled at him. And a minunte later, he will do the same thing.

Note that I already took him to the training school and the instructor also surprise by how hyper he is! Is there any way to teach him to be more calm and how can i give him a hair cut, should i just wait?

Thanks a lot for reading my post.
Some of these guys are a little more fiesty and busy then others.
I would recomend trying a new groomer.
I would also see to a clicker trainer.
Up his exercies a little not a ton as busy ones can be busy cause they are afraid to be still.
I would look into Tellington touch and work on Body work to get him more comfortabke with him self. Also the anxeity wrap be a useful thing.
I am not saying that he is an fearful or anxiety guy just that these things work for busy guys too.
Watch him close does he lip lick, shake like shakeing off water without being wet. Does he sniff out of contexted... like nose always down.
Watch for blinking and yawning all signes that he is stressed and not handleing something well. Try lip licking or yawning back to him if you see it, You just told him in dog language to chill out.
What is he like if someone he does not know gets in his space.. Lip licking etc shows he not comfty and he need never growel or bark to tell you he does not like it.
What you could have is a precursor notes to a reactive dog.
Take it slow and do not push.
He is in the teenage stage so slow gentle and easy is a must as if he gets spooked it could be a problem.

Joy
Yorkie Mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!