View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #1
Merizabeth928
Yorkie Talker

Default Recently adopted possible pregnancy!

Hello there! I am hoping someone can help me out with a situation we have found ourselves in. My husband and I recently took in a 22month old female yorkie five weeks ago. She previously belonged to a friend of his family who was transferring colleges and would not be able to take her with her. She had her temporarily staying at her dad's home while she moved out of her current apartment. We currently have a four year old full bred female border collie that has been spayed and parted with our full bred lab years ago. I've never not had a spayed/neutered dog, so what I find myself in is very new territory. I have been a lover of yorkies for some time and when the opportunity presented itself to take in this sweet girl I jumped at the chance. After going through the preliminary questions with this girl, she explained that Mila had previously been pregnant by a beagle at her dad's house and had not been spayed. I was not so much concerned about the spaying part as my husband and I were discussing whether or not we wanted to breed her. As I said, the only other dog in our home is a female as well and since Mila does not go outside unattended, we assumed we had time to discuss this. Two weeks into this sweet baby being in our home, I noticed her nipples becoming enlarged. When I questioned her previous owner about her she was uncertain as to when her last heat was and assumed this was it. This past Thursday, the Fourth of July, I noticed her abdomen had seemingly "popped" out of nowhere and her nipples now ever so enlarged and droopy. I told my husband I was concerned that she was either pregnant or from what I read experiencing a false pregnancy. I will be the first to admit, I had not made an appointment yet with our vet as she had just had a checkup six weeks prior to her coming to us and a grooming/dental visit the week prior to coming to us as well. We called our vet on Friday and much to our dismay, they were unable to offer us anything until the 25th. My husband seemed to think my fears of her being pregnant were in my head and accepted that appointment. After pouring over the forum obsessively for the last 48 hours, I got out my stethoscope from work and attempted to listen for any active heartbeats. I was able to differentiate between her pulse and a faint (yet fast) tap tap tap sound in her lower abdomen. From what I have read, this was possibly a heartbeat. Flash forward to this evening, we were curled up on the sofa with our son and sweet Mila resting on my stomach and chest and our border collie Zoe Belle at our feet, when suddenly I felt movement. I paused and waited a moment for it to return. Since then, I have been obsessively checking her abdomen for more movement and it is definitely there. To be honest, I do not know how we missed the signs, but I do know that her enlarged abdomen was not present before. I have since done my research on the importance of her whelping box, but despite reading everything you all have offered up over these last few hours, I am more panicked than before. Human patients I can handle, but knowing and seeing my sweet baby go through this I am ill prepared for. I did call her previous owner before bed this evening and was informed she "may have gotten out again" while at her dad's home where the same beagle was. While Mila has only been in our care for five weeks, I am unclear as to the timeline in which she became pregnant. I am assuming she must be close (I did take rectal temp an hour ago at 99.1, she has been digging at her blanket beside me on the sofa, and she can't seem to get comfortable constantly getting up to move around before settling down again) based on the information I have read so far. Given that our appointment is two weeks out and the unhelpful receptionist did not seem sympathetic to my situation of adopting a pregnant dog without knowing and fearing she will deliver before said appointment, I am certain I am on my own. I have a million questions and feel so unprepared for this. I am due in my own clinic Monday morning at 8am sharp and am absolutely terrified she will deliver and no one will be here for her! I apologize for the lengthiness of this post as I am never short on words when I am freaking out about something. I would greatly appreciate some kind words and calming advice in this situation. I am fully aware that some people in these forums frown on unpreparedness, trust me, I had every intention of doing my research 1000000% before intentionally breeding her. Thank you!
Merizabeth928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!